Menu

Long Division help!

CalicoKat

With the help of a multiplication chart DD 11 (ADHD) can do short division. Long division with remainders is totally derailing her though.

Any suggestions to help me help her? "Dad/Divide, Mother/Multiply, Sister/Subtract, Brother/Bring down " is what I've taught her to get through the steps in the right order. But when we get to the 2nd tier of numbers and start over it befuddles her and the tears begin.......

Help!

(1) Have your dd write the first letter of your saying

(D, M, S, B)

(2) As she does each step, cross off the letter

(3) When it is time to do it again, re-write the saying (D, M, S, B)

(4) Start again, crossing off the letters

I wonder if she is confused about what to divide into? Highlight that each time (maybe using a different highlighters)

We used huge graph paper for a long time, but I also like that notebook on the side trick and would have done that if I had heard of it!

I. want. to. quit.

It took her a couple days to do the test. Today she finished. I thought for sure there would be a grade that I could be OK with so we could move on to the next chapter--fractions. Something different.

Nope. BIG fail.

What am I doing wrong?!

I don't require her to memorize the multiplication table. I don't think she can. She's got some for memory, more was memorized when I stopped drilling her in it. She's got a copy of the multiplication table to look at. It takes longer, but there is usually more accuracy because all she's being required to learn are the steps for long division and to do the math. It's too much to know the facts, way to much.

She can barely do one "level." She'll look at the chart, tell me the number, and then write down and entirely different number -- no time lapse or getting up. She has a hard time listening to what she says and then writing it down. Dictation in other subjects is laborious too.

What to do. This child looks like she's 18, socially interracts well adjusted with her peers, but academically she's barely a 4th grader. She's supposed to be in 6th grade.

I am at a loss. I don't know how to help her.

I. want. to. quit.

It took her a couple days to do the test. Today she finished. I thought for sure there would be a grade that I could be OK with so we could move on to the next chapter--fractions. Something different.

Nope. BIG fail.

What am I doing wrong?!

I don't require her to memorize the multiplication table. I don't think she can. She's got some for memory, more was memorized when I stopped drilling her in it. She's got a copy of the multiplication table to look at. It takes longer, but there is usually more accuracy because all she's being required to learn are the steps for long division and to do the math. It's too much to know the facts, way to much.

She can barely do one "level." She'll look at the chart, tell me the number, and then write down and entirely different number -- no time lapse or getting up. She has a hard time listening to what she says and then writing it down. Dictation in other subjects is laborious too.

What to do. This child looks like she's 18, socially interracts well adjusted with her peers, but academically she's barely a 4th grader. She's supposed to be in 6th grade.

I am at a loss. I don't know how to help her.

I wish I knew something to help you. It does sound like there's an issue with working memory. If you've never had an evaluation, it might be time to consider one in case it will give you some information that will help both her and you. It will also provide a paper trail of documentation for any accommodations that are necessary in the future.

I know this sounds like a cop out. I'm sorry.

I wish I knew something to help you. It does sound like there's an issue with working memory. If you've never had an evaluation, it might be time to consider one in case it will give you some information that will help both her and you. It will also provide a paper trail of documentation for any accommodations that are necessary in the future.

I know this sounds like a cop out. I'm sorry.

Eval was done, time for a re-eval. That's how we know it's at least ADHD.

Disgraphia

Discalcula

and some other not so fun to work with stuff.

We used graph paper and arrows. We also remember that dirty monkies sell bananas! Divide multiply subtract and bring down. Also let her use a calculator to help her with the processing while she writes Each step down. Yeah, it took us a million years to master it. Can you take a brake from it for a few weeks and do some fun math? Then go back at it. This also works well for my son. Good luck!:grouphug: