Menu

TWTM vs TWEM and the Trivium?

StephanieF

Not wishing to ask a stupid question but I've read the WTM but not The Well Educated Mind Are these substantially different? Should I put WEM on my list of must get books?

Following on which is the best book on the Trivium? Looking on amazon and there seem to be a few not all readily available? Just trying to get my holiday reading sorted lol!

Thanks

Stephanie

They are very different books. WEM is not really about the Trivium. It's been awhile since I read it so I can't remember exactly. She may talk about the concept of the Trivium a little but it's a plan for adult/rhetoric stage reading. The first section details a plan for how to read...how to take notes and to get more out of your reading.

The rest is divided into categories (fiction, autobiography, poetry, drama, history...?maybe something else). Then within those categories is a list of books in chronological order. She gives a brief synopsis of each book and sometimes mentions why this is an important book to read.

I really liked WEM. I read through the first part and then skimmed the lists. I've been reading through the fiction list this year, although I read other stuff too so I'm moving slowly through it. I like the idea of having a focus to my reading, and it has encouraged me to read some things I wouldn't have probably read otherwise...like Don Quixote. I took good notes and really followed her method for DQ but then since then I've just been reading the books. For me, taking notes began to feel too much like work and I wanted to just enjoy the books. But I think if I had a book that was more challenging or a book that I wanted to teach or for some reason really understand I would go back to WEM as a resource for how to do that. At this point in my life, I'm happy to just be reading. :)

ETA: I remembered as I was writing this that she does use the concept of the Trivium in how to read...you do a "grammar" stage reading, then "logic", then "rhetoric". But it's not realy to the same purpose as in WTM.