Menu

has anyones children skipped a grade in ps after being held back?

Guest rs43

Background:

My son was held back twice -yes, twice. No learning disabilities (he has been tested and retested). It has all boiled down to a messy divorce, 3 house moves and a lack of interest in school/immaturity issues. (He is very physical/hands on learner and had trouble getting into the groove of sitting all day...he is better at that now).

He/we have resolved all of those issues and his life is now stable. Now he wishes to skip a grade eventually. We are aiming for next year. He is almost 12 and in the 4th grade.

We have both decided to after-school him all year in hopes of moving him to the 6th grade next year...this was honestly his idea. He is doing much better in ps this year and did quite well last year. Last year he was an average student and I thought that maybe he was where he was supposed to be and stopped worrying so much. But this year he says he is bored a lot. He still brings in B's every now and then, but mostly A's. He seems really motivated at this point to learn and put in the effort but I dont want to over-do it (or under-do it).

We just purchased some Spectrum math and reading comprehension books and we are making weekly trips to the library so I can help him select better literature (he is not a natural reader). He needs work in so many areas to be able to catch up to where he wants to be and his elementary school is being very unhelpful. We are changing schools next year to the district I live in...he has been primarily with his father during the week and me on the weekends and summers - until now - his father just moved out of state, so my son is with me all of the time. Where I live has a much better school district, so hopefully they will be more helpful.

My question is...how do I make this happen? What do I focus on?...what test does he need to pass in order to skip a grade?...who do I talk to at the school that I would like him to attend next year?....do I get him extra tutoring...???

After-schooling him will be fun, but our goal feels a little overwhelming.

I hate to give it a go and it not work. I want to do this right. I home-schooled my dd 5,6,7 (now in college) and she excelled, so I know I am more than capable. I would love more than anything to hs him full-time but I now work a full-time job and cant do the same for my son as I was able to do for my dd. I want so much to help him and give the same opportunity to excel. Help! :confused:

In my former district, this happened occasionally, but it wasn't because the student "caught up"-it was because they were finally labeled and got an IEP, and then were skipped to be with their age-peers, presumably with academic supports so that they at least wouldn't be any LESS successful in the new grade than in their prior one.

My guess is that without an IEP, it would be considered the same way any other acceleration would-that the student would have to be in in the high % levels for the grade they'd be going into, and have signs of emotional/social maturity that indicates they're ready for that receiving grade. Since your DS is the correct AGE to be in 6th next year, I imagine it would be mostly a requirement to show that he will not only be academically competent, but successful in 6th. Talk to the guidance office and find out.

This may be worth scheduling a meeting with your principal and teacher to discuss your concerns. Im not sure how motivated the school would be to move your son up a grade but they may be willing to discuss a path to get him moved up?

I know my friend had the same issue but her son was much older. The issue becomes once they are in high school they turn 18 in 10-11 grade and become "adults" instead of minors. They offered her son a summer program to get caught up and get back into a higher grade.

Well, kinda. Yes, in essence.

At the tail end of 7th grade, my oldest had failed so spectacularly that there was no numerical way for him to pass, even if he made straight As for the next marking period.

His psychologist told us to not let him fail, under no circumstances, that he would never be able to emotionally recover (which, for this kid, was an accurate assessment).

So, with the Dr. blessing, we pulled him out. It was technically a failed year, he would have had to repeat it.

He went back into pubic school in 10th (so he homeschooled 4 years), which was where he would have been had he not 'failed'. Tested in perfectly, and with large advances in some subjects.

He then hated his teachers so much, that he failed, for real, and refused to homeschool.

I wish I never agreed to let him go back, but that is beside the point. :glare:

I think the first step would be to have him take the standardized test the school uses to asses students in the grade he is wanting to skip (so whatever 5th grade test they use). If he does well on that and you can make a solid case to the principal of his new school that advancing him would be the best for him psychologically you would probably stand a decent chance.

Do you have the option of homeschooling him for one year? I would tutor him for a year and really catch him up, if academically he could handle it. Either that, or perhaps he could be tutored by a homeschooling family who would work with him? I see you're in Oklahoma, so the laws are generous there. Then I'd stick him back in at grade level, if that's where he's at ;)