Menu

Carpet Cleaning question...

I have large area rugs on top of hardwood floors in my downstairs and I want to have them steam cleaned. Will they do it right in place or will the carpets need to be moved off of the hardwood floors?

Thanks!

You will need to move off the wood floors. Depending on the fiber content they may have to remove them from your house to a shop as some rugs like wool can not be cleaned easily in home.

I've had it done a couple of different ways (all by the same company over the years). Sometimes they move it to a carpeted room and steam them there--which I would request if you're concerned about your floors. Sometimes they do it while the rug is still on the wood (I've never had any damage to my floor--in fact I steam mop my floors, so I wasn't concerned about it). Then we transfer it out to hang-dry over the porch railing in the back. It dries in about 30 minutes.

I wouldn't have it done on hardwood floors. Why take a chance? Unless they're really huge rugs, it shouldn't be a big deal to move them. I clean my carpet/rugs myself, and I've done it two ways -- put the area rug on top of carpet or place a clean tarp down in the garage and put the rug on top of it for cleaning. Both methods work fine.

My dh is a carpet cleaner and he cleans rugs in the shop (from fires or floods or that people drop off) and he also cleans them in houses. I think it is probably a question of what is easiest. If you aren't in a huge hurry, I would think it best to drop them off and not have to have someone at your house doing it (but that may be my slightly anti-social tendancies coming out :tongue_smilie:)

• 3 weeks later...