Menu

Name That Science Curriculum....

lexi

Ok, even with all the science threads lately I still can't decide. Can you stand more chatting about science??

We are currently using Apologia Botany and Nancy Larson 1. My kids like both. There are things I like about both and things I dislike..........

Apologia is like information overload on a very specific topic. NL is like bite-sized bits of info about a broad range of topics. My kids retain it very well though.

The bad thing is we are going to have both finished up by the end of this year. My kids have suddenly decided that they are very into science and we have to do it every. single. day. Both programs every day!

Next fall I think we'll do NL 2 and Apologia Zoo 1. But I wanted a complete change of pace for spring.

So, I'm looking at RSO Chem or possibly Earth/Space, ES Chem or Earth Science/Astronomy, or NOEO Chem. I cannot decide.

RSO looks fun with lots of hands on elements. I worry that the info won't be enough. I can always get books but that can be a pain. Then I worry that the experiments won't get done and I'll feel guilty. But it looks like such an interesting program and right on their level.

ES science I like with the notebook pages and everything laid out. It has some reference books and some experiments. I thought it might not be as overwhelming with the number of projects. But then I've read reviews about it being boring, not enough hands on, or having lots of typos or errors. There aren't enough samples for me to truly get a feel for this one.

NOEO looks like it has some wonderful book choices. If I'm reading it correctly it also has notebook and lab pages. I didn't know if it would be enough in the experiment department though. Some reviews have said it wasn't enough hands on.

So, if anyone has used any (or all :D) of these programs can you give me an opinion?

It will mostly be for my almost 7 year old and my 5 year old). I want something laid out for me. I want books or reading suggestions, notebook pages, good fun experiments, and simple lab pages to fill out.

Do I think a curriculum is necessary at this age? NOPE. But they want it and enjoy it so I'm going to get it for them! Nature walks and journaling is not going to cut it and I'm not pulling something together myself at this point.

Someone tell me what I'm looking for that fits what we want! And if you've blogged about any of these please give me the link!

We are using RSO and ES (along with Apologia) Earth/Space Science but only doing the Space part. I will have to admit I am not liking ES and RSO as much this year as last year (we used both but the Life Science and it was terrific). With that said I would not use either one as a stand alone curriculum . RSO is great for experiments but it relies on library books too much for the info. ES is great for the info but only one experiment a week for a science loving child is not enough. Both are extremely easy to use...15 mins tops for most days. ES you read for 3 days and narrate then do an experiment and on the 5th day you work on an ongoing project. RSO has a info page then a few experiments to go along with it. The experiments are great and even give you ideas to extend the experiment for those serious science students.

I have heard the chemistry for RSO and ES is very good, but I have not tried it yet.

We are using ES ESA this yr and really like it, but it is a little light. That is perfect for us because it gets done, but a lesson is about 2 pages in an Usborne book, notebooking, and usually add to that 1-2 experiments a week. It is perfect for us but not nearly as much as you are currently doing...

NOEO Chem 1 has lots of hands-on; one of the books is all experiments, and there are more in the other books as well, plus the YSC kits. You can always add in the outstanding Science Wiz kits (Chem, Chem+, DNA) for under $20 each (they have wonderful components, directions, easy to read explanations, and your supplies. You might need to supply a 9V battery, or 70% alcohol for the DNA kit, but they supply even things like squares of aluminum foil and feathers).

I knew there would be someone who said they used both...........one seems to have what the other is lacking.......

So, if I could only do 1 which would meet my requirements the best? Or which is easiest to add to? Is it easier to add experiments to ES and make it enough? Or is it easier to add good books to RSO and make it enough?

We are not a sciencey family here. We're more history orientated so take this with a grain of salt!

We started with Noeo Science. I thought I would love it, but didn't. Kids didn't love it much either. I just felt there wasn't enough meat. We only used Level 1 though, maybe 2 is better? Book choices are good if you're looking for lit ideas to add to another program.

We then went to ES. We are still using it and science gets done! It's simple and straightforward. We aren't bothered by only one experiment a week. It would be easy to find some extra experiments for a science loving child. We've done all the grammar programs and used Logic Bio last year and are using ES Logic this year. We have only done a couple weeks, but I'm sure it will live up to my expectations as we've enjoyed ES thus far. Paige also has a new series out and the first book is called Sassafrass Zoology. I've heard GREAT things about it. I would have gotten it, except that I needed to get my dd OUT of bio for awhile! The only books she checks out at the library are animal books! Maybe I'll look at it for an "extra" for her when I have some $$$.

In the end, what gets done is good here. ES has fit the bill for us. WTM science already put together for you! It doesn't get better than that! :D

I knew there would be someone who said they used both...........one seems to have what the other is lacking.......

So, if I could only do 1 which would meet my requirements the best? Or which is easiest to add to? Is it easier to add experiments to ES and make it enough? Or is it easier to add good books to RSO and make it enough?

ES uses Jan Van Cleave's books and does not use all the experiments from them. I know the Astronomy book has 2 experiments per planet plus a slew of other great, easy to do experiments not listed in the ES schedule. These can be done with out having to get extra books. Money and ease wise this is the way to go.

Have you looked at TOPS science books? I am being mean throwing another science at you, but if you want to do science in the summer these are easy and fun. A book can take as little as a month.

NOAO Chem looks fascinating. I already have a couple of the trade books; wondering if the set would be worth it.

What is ES chem?

We're using RSO chemistry, and I don't know exactly why, but I don't care for it. I used the Life Science one 2 years ago and thought it was a lot of busy work. Plus we managed to kill too many critters.

I'm not sure why I decided to give the RSO chem a try; maybe cuz it's cheap? Low-risk?

Ok, with all this talk I think I'm leaning toward Elemental Science.

I emailed the author (who got back to me right away) and she was very helpful. I think the chem study may be too much for the age of my dd. So, I think I might just start us at biology even though I'm a little tired of biology.

So, has anyone blogged about ES and how they've used it?

She also mentioned that lapbooks were being redone. It looked like the bio ones were done already. I was thinking about adding those because she mentioned they would have more experiment options and book recommendations. That makes me wonder if the lapbook portion would be the element I would have been missing with the lack of outside resource ideas.

Has anyone used the lapbooks?

I'm going to email her back and ask her some more of my questions.

My concern with NOEO is that the kits don't look like great quality.....hmm.....but the books look very interesting!

Maybe I should add NOEO book choices to ES??

I never liked science and I think I'm just excited that my kids have started to get really into it. I have to admit that I'm starting to like it somewhat too......:001_smile: So, I'm really wanting to keep up with their interest but also find things that are doable and not totally overwhelming!

This might be the most helpful thread on science I've seen here in a long time. Does ES have a stance on creation/evolution?

They do not stress either one. Some of the book info (Kingfisher or DK might mention the earth in terms of years) but ES does not point it out. ES is mainly narration. You read the pages in the books and narrate something about what you read. Add a picture (they provide one or you can add your own) and once a week do a experiment.

We are using RSO: Life and my kids are loving it. All the hands on is really appealing to my son and he is retaining! Checking out library books and YouTube videos has not been much to add in and once the kids are hooked with the ideas from the activity/experiment, they will happily sit through anything supplemental in the name of science.