Menu

A q for those who have used OSU's German online course

The only items that appear to count for grades are quizzes and tests. So for the information sheets and the worksheets, I just correct them and hand them back but don't record any grade?

Are the weekly teleconferences arranged so they are at the same time every week or does the student arrange them as they progress through the course? ( For instance, if she takes a show week off, would she just not have a telecon that week or will she be assigned to a group and need to participate even though she's not making progress in the coursework?

The content of this course looks excellent, but I kind of need some help figuring out what *I* am supposed to do! And she's chomping at the bit to get started and get ahead before we officially begin our school year.

Annie,

We are doing German 1 through OSU this year and German 2 next. What we've experienced so far is:

1. the call-ins are arranged before hand and are the same time each week.

2. If there's a missed week, it's no big deal, they just don't do the call in.

3. For homeschoolers the class can be a full year. We are still trying to finish the class as we speak.

4. If you have a problem with a lesson, you are free to call at any time and someone can help you.

5. My daughter does the worksheets and info sheets with the lesson. They are a learning tool, not for grades. She then turns around and studies them before the chapter test.

I haven't found anything better than this class. She's learned a lot and I've been impressed with their organization.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Melissa

Yes, only the work done on the computer is graded. When you hit German 3 that changes and projects are submitted and graded as well. You move at your own pace. Period. Oh and you don't have to submit the worksheets to OSU. THey student keeps them and uses them for review prior to tests.

At the beginning of the course you establish a call time and day with the teacher and that becomes your space.We have never been part of a group and I would assume they just schedule homeschoolers individually. Groups are for school classes. If you must skip a week due to conflicts just notify them with an email or a call and you can reschedule but more likely you will just pick up the oral part at your regularly scheduled time the following week.

They are extremely flexible and helpful so don't hesitate to email them. I do know that they will be OT for a Teacher's conference around the last week of July though.

HTH!

Mary

I've been emailing with a member of this board whose daughter has several years experience with OSU's online German, getting additional info about the program. I don't know if it's just me, but the website left me with a number of questions. I was worried about being locked into a particular pace of study and am glad to find out that's not the case.

How old is your daughter, btw? I'd originally planned to have my oldest start the course in 9th grade, but I think I may have him go ahead with it this fall (8th). He wants to further his German knowledge and I think he'll enjoy the chance to work at this.

She just turned 16. She completed the 2 years of Japanese that BYU offered but she was ready to move on to another language...hopfully she'll stick with this one a bit longer. She really likes the daily assignment list because with BYU you were on your own as far as pacing and she didn't feel there were enough practice exercises. She's thrilled that she can already read much of the dialogue in the first lesson's information sheets and she's thrilled to have a real person to talk to when she hits trouble spots. I hope her enthusiasm lasts!

Annie

My 16 yodd is taking German I over the summer (she's just starting Chapter 7) and will be taking German II in the fall. If your dd is comfortable with how to learn a language, I'd recommend a faster pace than they set, at least for German I.

My dd has a scheduled weekly call-in, but someone has always been available for questions. Once we missed our call time by about 45 minutes -- we'd forgotten -- I called to ask if it were possible to do it late or should we reschedule. They handled it there and then, no problem. I'm not sure they'd be able to be so flexible during the regular school year. This week she is taking driver's ed at the local high school so she hasn't worked on German at all. During her call-in today, she simply did the reading part of the chapter 6 test she needed to complete.

Dd is really enjoying the course, it is really well done and she is learning a lot.

HTH

My son will take German 1 in the fall. I had several questions. They said they don't give grades but percents

and told me I could have my son do a project such as

a report on Germany for extra credit to improve his grade

but that part is totally up to me. They are definately very flexible.

Carol

Thanks, Moira. I think she can do an accelerated pace and she wants to do that, but I struggle with her making progress in subjects that she abhors. She'll be doing trig and physics and that will be like pulling teeth. Left to her own devices, she'll finish German 1 and still be on chapter one in math and science. So I'm trying to figure out how to allow her to accelerate German without falling behind (or glossing over) her other subjects. In the past I have given a set of assignments that must be completed before she can do 'extra' work in her favored subjects. Is there a better way?

Of course she should be more mature and be managing her own education but we're still working on that.

Thanks for posting about your experience with the course...I really appreciate it!

Carol,

Yes, I imagine they give percents because not all schools use the same grading system. One might consider a 90% and A while another might want a 94%. I didn't know a student could do extra credit projects...I might require them anyway.