Menu

WWYD - English/Grammar?

SnMomof7

SO.

What with a couple bouts of PPD and many, many moves, a few new babies etc. oldest DD (9) hasn't had a lot of formal grammar. She's starting 4th grade, but we've really gone, erm 2/3 of the way through Rod and Staff English 2 sporadically over the past couple of years.

Sigh.

So - what would you do?

Jump her into 4th? Speed track through 2nd and 3rd (I do have both).

Opinions please :). I really do need something she can do herself this year (and I think she might be capable of independent work a bit more now) since new baby is coming in early November!

SO.

What with a couple bouts of PPD and many, many moves, a few new babies etc. oldest DD (9) hasn't had a lot of formal grammar. She's starting 4th grade, but we've really gone, erm 2/3 of the way through Rod and Staff English 2 sporadically over the past couple of years.

Sigh.

So - what would you do?

Jump her into 4th? Speed track through 2nd and 3rd (I do have both).

Opinions please :). I really do need something she can do herself this year (and I think she might be capable of independent work a bit more now) since new baby is coming in early November!

It's going to be fine, really. Many folks don't even start grammar until at least fourth grade. My kids have a R&S 2 level of grammar entering fourth grade. I am on my second round of:

Fourth Grade: Simply Grammar plus finding parts of speech in dictation.

Fifth Grade and Sixth Grade: Growing with Grammar

Seventh Grade (and hopefully Eighth) Rod and Staff 7 and 8.

I like to ease into grammar as I think it really "sticks" and makes sense as a middle schooler when it can be applied more easily to their work.

My present seventh grader transitioned without a hitch (just a couple of vocabulary clarifications) into R and S 7 this year. We are 2 chapters in and he is getting 100% on the tests.

If I were you and needed her to do independent grammar, I would put her into Growing With Grammar (and use the new tests.)

But if you don't want to use something new, use the grade 4. Remember SWB says you can start cold in Grade 5.

You can start with level 4. If she has trouble with anything, you can always find that topic in grade 3 to go over it again. Level 4 starts at the beginning with sentence vs. fragment, subject, predicate, etc.

:iagree: Rebecca went through 3 and we're in 4 now and have skipped several lessons because she gets annoyed and says, "I KNOW this!"