Menu

AAR1 Question

Mergath

I've been thinking about buying AAR1 for dd, but after sitting down and looking at the scope and sequence for it, I have a question. Dd can blend well, and she's reading CVC words. It looks like a good chunk of the program is learning letter sounds (which I thought was covered in pre-1, but oh well). If dd is reading CVC words well, and knows common sight words like "a" and "the," is it worth the money to buy level one? We do have HoP K and the first four sets of Bob books, so I'm wondering if my money might be better spent to have her go through HoP until she's at the level of AAR2, and then start there, or maybe just go into AAS.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I can't say too much as we are only on Lesson 7 of AAR 1, but my son was reading CVC words and knew all the sounds before we started. However, in my opinion there is so much more to AAR. The sight words "the" and "a" have already been covered in the first few lessons. The fluency sheets are challenging though. Even if he knows all the words, these sheets help him build fluency in his daily reading. At lesson 16 you will start consonant teams, so it does go beyond CVC. So far this program is a hit here for us. I'm even considering AAR Pre-1 for my DD!:001_smile:

I can't say too much as we are only on Lesson 7 of AAR 1, but my son was reading CVC words and knew all the sounds before we started. However, in my opinion there is so much more to AAR. The sight words "the" and "a" have already been covered in the first few lessons. The fluency sheets are challenging though. Even if he knows all the words, these sheets help him build fluency in his daily reading. At lesson 16 you will start consonant teams, so it does go beyond CVC. So far this program is a hit here for us. I'm even considering AAR Pre-1 for my DD!:001_smile:

:iagree:

The digraphs start getting introduced about 1/3 of the way through aar1 so I don't think it would be a waste for you. The letter sounds are introduced briefly with the idea that the child is already familiar with the primary sounds the letters make (that's aar pre-1). Toward the beginning of level I it gets into secondary sounds such as s can say /s/ or /z/. Whether or not your money would be better spent using hop and waiting for level II, idk since I'm unfamiliar with hop. I generally think it's prudent to use something you already have if it's working for you. Do you dislike the hop?

The digraphs start getting introduced about 1/3 of the way through aar1 so I don't think it would be a waste for you. The letter sounds are introduced briefly with the idea that the child is already familiar with the primary sounds the letters make (that's aar pre-1). Toward the beginning of level I it gets into secondary sounds such as s can say /s/ or /z/. Whether or not your money would be better spent using hop and waiting for level II, idk since I'm unfamiliar with hop. I generally think it's prudent to use something you already have if it's working for you. Do you dislike the hop?

I don't dislike it, exactly. It does use more sight words than I'd like, but the main reason I want to buy AAR1 is that, from what I've read, it's just much better. For any other subject I'd probably stick with what I have, but when it comes to reading, I really, really want to make sure we do a good job and get a good curriculum.

However, we actually did buy AAR pre-1. DD knew her letters when we got it, but still hadn't learned letter sounds. Being a moron, I also let her play on Starfall too after we purchased AAR, and she knew all of the letter sounds in about a week. And so AAR pre-1 sits, nearly unused, on my bookshelves. :tongue_smilie: I'd like to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with AAR1.

:iagree:, we are in lesson 11 now though. DS was reading CVC before his accident (the concussion set him back a bit). We just added in the fact that s makes a z sound sometimes, so it isn't just the basic sounds in AAR1.

I am still debating the Pre-Reading level for DD, she knows all her basic letter sounds already though so I am thinking that it might just make sense to start her on AAR1 instead.

I don't dislike it, exactly. It does use more sight words than I'd like, but the main reason I want to buy AAR1 is that, from what I've read, it's just much better. For any other subject I'd probably stick with what I have, but when it comes to reading, I really, really want to make sure we do a good job and get a good curriculum.

I see, that's a simliar reason to why I stopped progressive phonics. I'm using AAR1 with my son who will be 4 at the end of the yr. I chose it because it's explicit phonics and doesn't require writing. DS likes the little games and I appreciate that's it's scripted and ready to go. He is speeding through it quicker than I anticipated and I will purchase level 2 when it's released but I'm starting to wish there was something a little faster paced that was scripted and didn't require writing. I see this getting expensive and idk what exactly to do when we outpace the release of new levels, which is beginning to look inevitable. I'm willing to pay for the open and go factor as well as the fun little games for now since he's young. If you're trying to get something that's a good value you will likely end up in the same place as me, going quickly through and paying top dollar. It's probably worth considering trying to adapt a swr/wrtr type of program if you're looking to get the most from your money. I'm currently toying with the idea of getting sound beginnings so I can go quickly through the phonograms and release him to real books. It would also give me flexibility in terms of spelling down the road, something I expect to be hugely influenced by his asynchrony.

Edited by Syllieann

I've been thinking about buying AAR1 for dd, but after sitting down and looking at the scope and sequence for it, I have a question. Dd can blend well, and she's reading CVC words. It looks like a good chunk of the program is learning letter sounds (which I thought was covered in pre-1, but oh well). If dd is reading CVC words well, and knows common sight words like "a" and "the," is it worth the money to buy level one? We do have HoP K and the first four sets of Bob books, so I'm wondering if my money might be better spent to have her go through HoP until she's at the level of AAR2, and then start there, or maybe just go into AAS.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Level 1 does review the basic sounds, but also teaches all of the additional letter sounds. If you look in the appendix at the back of the sample Teacher's Manual, you can see a full listing of all the words taught in Level 1. That might be the best way to determine whether it would be helpful for her.

However, we actually did buy AAR pre-1. DD knew her letters when we got it, but still hadn't learned letter sounds. Being a moron, I also let her play on Starfall too after we purchased AAR, and she knew all of the letter sounds in about a week. And so AAR pre-1 sits, nearly unused, on my bookshelves. :tongue_smilie: I'd like to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with AAR1.

If she wasn't already reading, I'd say to go through the Pre-1 phonemic awareness exercises and just skip the sounds part, because a lot of kids need to work on those skills. But it sounds like she's doing great! Do you have a younger child who will be able to use it? If not and if you bought it directly from AALP, they do have a 1-year guarantee. You can return it, even partially used.

Merry :-)

Level 1 does review the basic sounds, but also teaches all of the additional letter sounds. If you look in the appendix at the back of the sample Teacher's Manual, you can see a full listing of all the words taught in Level 1. That might be the best way to determine whether it would be helpful for her.

If she wasn't already reading, I'd say to go through the Pre-1 phonemic awareness exercises and just skip the sounds part, because a lot of kids need to work on those skills. But it sounds like she's doing great! Do you have a younger child who will be able to use it? If not and if you bought it directly from AALP, they do have a 1-year guarantee. You can return it, even partially used.

I debated between AAR pre level and 1 since ds already knew letters and sounds, I ended up deciding on the pre level and am so glad I did. We are doing about 3 lessons a day reviewing the letters/ sounds and reading the books (ds loves them!) but the best part is the phonemic awareness exercises. They are wonderful.

Not exactly related to the original question, but sort of ;)

I did buy it direct from them, but I think it's been sitting there for more than a year. I was sort of hoping we'd have another kid, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. *sigh* So I'll probably try to sell it to someone around here.

I did buy it direct from them, but I think it's been sitting there for more than a year. I was sort of hoping we'd have another kid, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. *sigh* So I'll probably try to sell it to someone around here.

Oh please do!! I am sure someone here would love to have it ;) The price is the only thing holding us back because I won't have a younger to pass it on to. Even at a small discount I would jump at it :lol:

Oh please do!! I am sure someone here would love to have it ;) The price is the only thing holding us back because I won't have a younger to pass it on to. Even at a small discount I would jump at it :lol:

Sure! I'd sell it for half the price of the new one. You can PM me if you're interested. :D Though I have to warn you, I haven't sold anything online before, so you might have to walk me through it. ;)