Menu

Cat with pneumonia

Took our sweet kitty to the vet today and was told she has pneumonia. Her temp was 107. The vet gave her antibiotics and put her on ice packs to help cool her down. Sent her home and told us to keep an eye on her temp. It went down to 103 earlier, but is now back to 107. The vet said if it doesn't go down, that could be a sign of her kidneys failing. She was also dehydrated because of being outside all day (she is an outside cat) and I didn't know she was sick until about 3:00 this afternoon. Please tell me if you've had a cat survive this ordeal.

If your dd is giving her IV fluids, it's the best thing you can do for her. Someone should stay awake with her tonight, to try to keep her as calm and cool as possible. Keep rotating ice packs. If her nose starts to look really dried out and sore, gently rub a teeny bit of Vaseline on it. (The Vaseline won't hurt her if she licks it off, and you only need a tiny bit to coat the skin, anyway.)

I have had cats come back from worse, so I'm hoping everything will be OK with your kitty, too. Did the vet do blood tests to check her kidney function?

I'm so sorry your cat is so ill, and I'll pray that she makes a complete recovery. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: