Menu

Apologia Biology questions

I have a couple of questions.

My oldest daughter , is 14 , but is an 8th grader this year. She sincerely wanted to do Biology this year because she was tired of studying general and physical science and wanted to study something else. So I went ahead and bought the Apologia Biology for her and she's doing pretty well with it.

After doing this though , now I'm wondering if I haven't cheated her or anything when it comes to high school transcripts. I don't think this would be counted as credits right, with her being in 8th grade? Not sure how the whole high school thing works quite yet , as this is her last year of middle school.

So should we have waited to do it?

Next question is she is having a tough time understanding the classification part in the first module and to be honest so am I. Does anyone have website to share, or a youtube video that would match up to this so I can help her understand this better?

I'm not very knowledgeable about high school transcripts but we're doing Apologia Bio this year in 8th, too.

For what it's worth, my own understanding is this: "High school" Biology done in 8th grade will not count on the high school transcript but it will allow her to move in to a more advanced science and/or a more interest led science later in high school. So, if my daughter does Bio in 8th, Chem in 9th, she can do AP Bio in 10th and still have a couple of years to play around with in any Science she wants.

Several of my dc have taken Apologia biology in 8th and we have put it on their transcripts as high school courses taken in middle school. I have no idea whether the universities "counted" it, but they got into the schools. :001_smile: It did allow them to take an AP science and some dual-enrolled science courses while in high school.

Regarding the classification, the entire book is organized on the system so she really does need to understand it. What part don't you understand? Can she go back and possibly outline the chapter? I found that I need to take notes or outline when I read from a text to really understand.

Lisa

Ok, I finally got it. As I said, we haven't used these yet but they look so promising. One of them is actually a board member but I don't remember which.

Hope they help!

http://appliejuice.wordpress.com/apologia-biology/

http://www.goldiesroom.org/video_archive.htm

http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/p/biology.html

http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/

We are also doing apologia biology. Dd14 and ds12--both with very different learning styles. I have found that the worksheets at the biologycorner.com are helpful. Non artist ds is able to label the parts and color. There are also dissection worksheets which I plan to combine with virtual labs on youtube. We are dissecting but with a group -- this way they keep moving.

Okay, that does make sense. Its good to know that there are some other 8th graders doing the Apolo Bio this year too.

Both my dc did Apologia Bio in 8th grade, and I listed it on their transcripts as a high school course taken before 9th grade. And I gave them high school credit for it. I've never regretted it--it put us on a track that opened lots of doors for advanced science in high school, which was very helpful for both college and scholarship applications. So, I think doing Bio in 8th is ideal.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with the classification issue, except to encourage you to hang in there--the effort to learn it will pay off. One thing I found about the intense study/memorization that Apologia required is that it helped my kids learn how to study.

We are also doing apologia biology. Dd14 and ds12--both with very different learning styles. I have found that the worksheets at the biologycorner.com are helpful. Non artist ds is able to label the parts and color. There are also dissection worksheets which I plan to combine with virtual labs on youtube. We are dissecting but with a group -- this way they keep moving.

Sorry to hijack. Do you have a link for the virtual labs on Youtube?

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to link. I did a google search with" earthworm dissection youtube" several choices. We picked the one by Macorganisms2. Really good. I actually was a bio major for a while. Never had the worm turn out that well! She has others. You can search by her when in youtube. Hers are mainly big things like a shark.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to link. I did a google search with" earthworm dissection youtube" several choices. We picked the one by Macorganisms2. Really good. I actually was a bio major for a while. Never had the worm turn out that well! She has others. You can search by her when in youtube. Hers are mainly big things like a shark.

Thanks! I should be able to find the videos with that information.

After doing this though , now I'm wondering if I haven't cheated her or anything when it comes to high school transcripts. I don't think this would be counted as credits right, with her being in 8th grade? Not sure how the whole high school thing works quite yet , as this is her last year of middle school.

I think it depends on your state. In my state, schools can give credit to middle schoolers who do high school level coursework (as would be the case with students in an accelerated learning program), so my interpretation is that homeschoolers are allowed to do the same.

According to Georgia High School Graduation Requirements:

Section 8.2 Middle School Credit: QCC [Quality Core Curriculum] and GPS [Georgia Performance Standards] CoursesUnit credit may be awarded for courses offered in the middle grades that meet 9-12 GPS requirements. Credit courses must follow GPS requirements as well as any associated End Of Course Test requirements.

Unit credit shall be awarded only for courses that include concepts and skills based on the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) for grades 9-12 or those approved by the State Board of Education.

and from a brochure put out by the Georgia Career Information Center:

Can middle school classes (6th, 7th , 8th grade) count towards high school graduation?

Yes. Credit may be awarded for classes such as foreign language, mathematics, and science.

Edited by ereks mom