Menu

job/life coach

Can y'all go ahead and talk about it here? At least in general?

I'm curious, too.

The coach in my family focuses on these 5 areas of a person's life:

spirituality, health, relationships, emotions, intellect, and finances

He helps people be the best they can be in all these areas. Sometimes the coaching is in a group setting, and other times it's one-on-one.

We were wondering what they can help with, what kind of information they collect and what kind of goals they can help set. Feel free to pm me.

Thanks!

What a coach can help with:

Pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't cross the line into areas that would be more appropriately handled by a licensed therapist or counselor. To illustrate the difference, a coach might help a client who is dissatisfied with her life or career - but if that client isn't simply dissatisfied, but appears to be depressed, a coach would refer her to a counselor instead.

Some coaches are generalists (they coach anyone on anything) and others specialize. Coaching is mostly unregulated in the U.S. although there are some states that have implemented regulation (not sure what the regulation looks like outside the U.S.). Because the industry is unregulated, anyone can call themselves a coach (regardless of whether they've completed any coach training or certification) so you should be very careful in selecting a coach. The top coaching industry association is the International Coach Federation (http://www.coachfederation.org/) - they have a directory of coaches that would be a good place to start your search. If you have recommendations from people you trust, that's an even better way to go.

Most coaches offer a complimentary consultation before you make a commitment - definitely meet with a few to make sure there's a good fit before you hire a coach. The majority of coaches conduct their coaching by phone although some will meet with you in person.

What kind of information they collect:

Coaches generally keep notes on coaching sessions for the purpose of supporting clients. Some may record sessions after getting the client's approval (it can be very beneficial for both the client and the coach to listen to the session after the fact - this often brings out additional insights that were missed during the session). Everything discussed in sessions is kept in strict confidence. Again, since coaching is unregulated, it's best to confirm a coach's individual stance on confidentiality before hiring them. Personally, I adhere to the ICF's Code of Ethics (http://www.coachfederation.org/about-icf/ethics/icf-code-of-ethics/) which covers confidentiality.

What kind of goals they can help set:

Coaches can help clients with any goals of the client's choosing. In a coaching relationship, the client sets the direction and overall objectives (i.e. what the client wants to accomplish through coaching). A good coach will help the client stretch those goals a bit, help the client see what else is possible (which is often more than what the client initially envisions), help the client move out of their comfort zone, and hold the client accountable to achieving their desired results. The primary benefits of working with a coach are really the support, clarity, breakthroughs, and accountability the coaching relationship provides. A coach is 100% focused on helping the client achieve his or her goals and (assuming the coach has completed a good coach training program or has commensurate experience) knows how to ask the right questions, probe and challenge where it's appropriate, help the client overcome obstacles, help the client become clear on what he/she wants to achieve and provides the support and accountability to ensure the client achieves the desired results.

HTH - let me know if there's additional info I can provide! :)

Edited by Dandelion

So, I have new questions, what kind of "work" needs to be done before a first consultation?

For example, you obviously need to find a coach who is in tune with what you are needing, but how do you go about figuring out what the coach's strengths are and matching that to what you need?

And what if you are unsure of what you need?

Do you need to have specific goals lined out, or is it better to just say "This is what I am feeling/experiencing"?

Thanks,

Sarah

Edited by saraha

So, I have new questions, what kind of "work" needs to be done before a first consultation?

For example, you obviously need to find a coach who is in tune with what you are needing, but how do you go about figuring out what the coach's strengths are and matching that to what you need?

And what if you are unsure of what you need?

Do you need to have specific goals lined out, or is it better to just say "This is what I am feeling/experiencing"?

Thanks,

Sarah

It helps to have a general idea about what you want to accomplish through coaching (e.g. switch career paths, achieve work-life balance, etc.). Although some people just have a vague sense of dissatisfaction with life when they hire a coach, and then figure out the specifics as they work with their coach - and that's ok too.

The best way to find a coach who is a good fit for you is to set up a few complimentary consultations - these are no-obligation calls (usually 20-30 min. in length) that give you a chance to ask questions, get a feel for the coach's style and approach, and basically "try before you buy". Most coaches offer an initial complimentary consultation to prospective clients - if they don't, I would pass. To find coaches to contact for these consultations, check out the ICF directory (linked in my previous post) or do a Google search. Most coaches have websites and generally post information about their background, coach training, qualifications, and specialties on their site.

I agree with a previous poster that coaches who specialize are generally able to provide better support for their clients. So if part of what your DH is considering coaching for relates to a certain specialized area, such as his industry or field of work, then you may want to look for a coach who specializes in working with people in that industry or profession, for example. In addition to industry specializations, there are hundreds of other specializations such as parenting, wellness, work-life balance, organization, etc. The list is almost endless. ;-)

Edited by Dandelion

Thank you so much for all of the information. We have kind of looked around on the internet, but it is really great to have someone give us a heads up so that we kind of know what we are talking about ;)

What would be some good questions to ask if we are looking for someone to kind of guide us into a career path that will be fulfilling for my husband, and help us narrow down some goals?

We looked at your blog, do you specialize in parenting?

Edited by saraha

Thank you so much for all of the information. We have kind of looked around on the internet, but it is really great to have someone give us a heads up so that we kind of know what we are talking about ;)

What would be some good questions to ask if we are looking for someone to kind of guide us into a career path that will be fulfilling for my husband, and help us narrow down some goals?

Glad to help. :)

Your DH will be best served by a career coach - a coach who specializes in exactly what you've described as your DH's objective above. When he has his complimentary consultations, it would be good to discuss:

- your DH's specific objectives and the changes he wants to make (even if they're not clearly defined yet). This will allow each coach to articulate how they could support your DH and work with him to help him achieve those objectives.

- what the coach's approach to career coaching is (some follow a fairly structured process with each client - others prefer to keep it open-ended and let things "evolve"). There's no right or wrong way to do it, but this will allow your DH to get a good feel for whether a coach will be a good fit for him.

- any other specific questions your DH has about how the coach operates

That will probably take up the entire consultation time (sessions go by fast!).

We looked at your blog, do you specialize in parenting?

Thanks for asking! :) I specialize in helping parents of kids with Asperger's Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism with the unique parenting and life challenges they face (my son has Asperger's Syndrome). Specifically, I help my clients develop more effective ways of parenting and relating to their kids (since "conventional" parenting approaches often don't work with kids on the spectrum), reduce stress, and restore balance to their lives. I also help parents with nutritional interventions such as addressing food sensitivities that impact child behavior, implementing GFCF and other specialized diets, beneficial supplements, etc. (I've completed additional training and certification to become a nutrition coach in the past year and have "lived" all of this with DS for 2 years now).

Best of luck to your DH!

I have done some work as a business coach, which often morphs much more toward life coaching, depending on how the client structures their business. I have a degree in Public Relations and a lot of experience in business, publicity and marketing.

In general, I work with clients to help them determine their goals and square those goals up with what they really want to be doing with their lives. For example, one client was frustrated because he was not able to expand the segment of his business targeted toward the children's market. Probably because the bottom line was that he wasn't very fond of working with children who were not his own (he has 8 of those!). So I encouraged him to identify the segment of the market he did get excited about working with and to put more of his time and energy into developing products for that market rather than the younger set. Not rocket science exactly, but hard to see a particular forest if you are overwhelmed trying to manage lots of trees. One of my big jobs is to provide unbiased perspective.

I am not licensed. I work only on a referral basis and get new clients via word of mouth. I have been lucky that those I have worked with seem to like my work enough that I have a waiting list of potential clients. I only handle a few clients at one time, for a limited contract period.

The "life" coaching part of my work seems to be based more on helping people see what things are important to them and how to make room in their busy business schedule to accommodate these needs. It also often involves helping people recognize when they are getting overextended due to outside committments and how to better manage them so that they do not detract from important family and work time.

I agree that it is critical to be on the same page with your coach about what you want them to provide for you and what you are expected to bring to the table. I make it clear up front that they cannot continue to do what they have been and suddenly get new results. The client must be willing to think deeply about what they want and where they are currently. They will have to explore some ideas that do not sound appealing upon first hearing. In most cases, there will be a need to step outside their comfort zone - at least for what I call brief "R and D field trips". It's not always an easy process, but so far all my clients have asked to keep me on "retainer" for future coaching after we finish a contract and seem to be saying good things about my work to others. HTH

Oh you guys are fantastic. I really think going this route will be a great step for us. I am very encouraged by all of the information I have gathered here. It will really help to kind of know what is expected of us going in so as not to waste time with the wrong person. I really appreciate all of the info. I do have one other question about the process. How deep into feelings/emotions/I don't know how to put it, can these sessions go? We aren't looking for THAT kind of counseling, but I can't help but think that some of a person's past or feelings has to come into play, and I want to be ready for that. Does that make sense? Like, I don't want to be oversharing, but I also want to be ready for whatever hard questions/self examination. I know it probably depends on the coach, but maybe in general?

Dandelion, I have a 12 yo aspie boy and an 11 yo aspie girl. What kind of training did you have to become an aspie coach?

For me, I want to know more about how a client feels right now about something, not so much how they felt about things in the past. Not to be snarky, but I am not so much concerned about a troubled relationship with their mother as I am about how fallout from that relationship is affecting their attention to business. I am quick to recommend that if there are long standing issues that they go talk with a trained counselor. (I have a list of excellent local ones if needed.)

I do ask lots of values type questions to discover what is important to a client. Sometimes it can be a little embarrassing for them to admit to me that they don't care at all about certain things we are all supposed to care about (like the guy who didn't like kids that much). But I need to know that in order to help them steer their business in a direction that will be pleasing to them.

I like to have clients leave a session feeling like they have gotten some things off their chests, like they have given voice to some preferences that they previously dared not address, like they have clarified some thoughts and ideas that have been swirling around in their heads just out of reach, and with a new sense of direction and confidence. Not with a fistful of soggy tissues and feeling like an emotional wreck.