Menu

making beds

I do have my son on the top bunk make it daily. However, we only do a bottom fitted sheet, no top sheet so that makes it a little easier. The quilt on top is pretty forgiving so it's really not terribly hard. Honestly, he's just gotten used to it from doing it the last couple years and does it fairly quickly. I may pull on the edges when I'm in his room to straighten it a bit but he does do it himself well enough. If I didn't have him do it, I would have a very hard time with his little brother making his on the bottom bunk (my younger ds is all about "fair":glare:).

We don't have bunk beds, and I'm a bit inconsistent about bedmaking, sometimes I require them made, sometimes I just can't be bothered asking them again and again, other times I just make them myself. However, if I require beds to be made I would require it of all of them, if I decide to make them myself I'll do it for all of them. It wouldn't feel quite right to me to require something of one and not the others, unless it was something that was age appropriate for one but not the others.

We just got bunk beds a week ago, and I have been having them both make their beds. They are young, however, and for now, I accept just pulling the covers up to the pillow, as long as it is carefully done. Our top bunk dweller is naturally rather meticulous and I find his covers neatly pulled up, snuggle blankie folded, and animals arranged on his pillow to hibernate for the day.

I sew elastic straps to the bottom corners of the top bunk comforter (no top sheet - just fitted sheet and comforter). This keeps it pretty secure so all dd has to do is pull the comforter up and smooth it a bit. I've seen directions for mitering the bottom corners and adding elastic so that it's basically like a fitted sheet...but my way was quicker.;)

I'm going to be the odd ball out that doesn't require my children to make their beds. Any of them. I'm probably throwing myself under a train here, but I don't make MY bed. ;) Only every once in awhile when I'm feeling extra ambitious. I've never really understood the point in making beds unless it's just something that you need to do to make the room feel clean. :confused: If company is coming over I can understand making the beds.

For both my bunk bed boys, I put on a waterproof mattress cover, then they sleep in sleeping bags. It is TOO DANG HARD to change the sheets on their beds, especially the top bunk. Every couple of weeks, the mattress cover on the top bunk gets changed. That sleeping bag gets washed weekly. Bottom bunk boy still wets his bed nearly every night, so we wash the sleeping bag and mattress cover daily, and replace them nightly.

Sigh. I'm so sick of pee.

I'm going to be the odd ball out that doesn't require my children to make their beds. Any of them. I'm probably throwing myself under a train here, but I don't make MY bed. ;) Only every once in awhile when I'm feeling extra ambitious. I've never really understood the point in making beds unless it's just something that you need to do to make the room feel clean. :confused: If company is coming over I can understand making the beds.

We never make our beds either. About once every 3-4 days we make it right before we go to bed, just to straighten out the sheets and blankets. Oh, and we make it when company is coming over, but that is not very often (twice a year, maybe??).

My son with a loft bed makes his bed each morning. But it's just straightening up the duvet (we change the duvet covers rather than using a top sheet) so it's not difficult. When he actually changes his fitted sheet, dh or I will help him, because that is hard to do alone.

Oh, and unfortunately, the boys share a small room, and Nathan has many passions. So, his bed's perimeter is comprised of:

a portable CD player/tape combo for audio books, a large box with art supplies, a wooden box full of wax seal kits, inks, calligraphy pens, etc. A file box where he stores completed drawings and extra drawing paper. Then there's a box of random things -- flashlights, pocket knives, compass, and other boy stuff. Then, there are coffee table size books that won't fit in his rain gutter bookshelves.

It drives me batty, and I wish we had room for a different system. I'm pondering a system since their room is up for remodeling this winter. The problem is, they have two tall bookshelves already in their room, a tall narrow cabinet with audio books, and no room for a dresser.

:iagree: ODS straightens his out (he's on top) and I sometimes pull the covers up to the pillows, but I'm not a bed-maker.