Menu

What can I add to my smoothies and is anyone familiar with caco nibs?

I was at HEAV and breadbeckers was making smoothies with all kinds of ingredients that I have never heard of. All I could think at the time is "This is going to cost me a whole lot of money" , so I hightailed myself away from there.

Now I am curioius, I have been walking daily and am trying to find things to eat that are going to help me lose this weight. We eat whole foods, lots of fruits and veggies, organic meats, eggs, raw dairy products, and I bake from scratch with freshly milled ww. We follow some of Nourishing Traditions concepts.

I think that the smoothies had something to do with raw food diets, but I don't know. I have been into organic for years and I had no idea what all those packets she had were.

Help

We do raw foods, and make smoothies. I don't use any packets of anything. Nor does any of the raw food community that I asscociate with.

I make different kinds of smoothies. My basic fruit is water, banana, blueberries, pineapple, maybe some flax oil, sometimes almonds, always a couple of tablespoons of Barley Green (helps digest all those fruiy sugars) and maybe whatever other fruits are at hand.

My basic green is a bit of water, one granny smith apple, and as many greens to fill the Vita Mix, process down, and refill. Such as collard greens, kale, spinach, dandelion greens, rainbow chard, and parsley.

Or sometimes a ton of cale with a bag of frozen organic berries.

Green Smoothie Girl is a great place to learn about green smoothies. http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/

The key for me is to use as wide a variety as possible.

I use cacao nibs often. Do you have question about them?

I think your diet sounds healthy!

~Lisa

Sorry if I'm being dense, but what is HEAV?

We follow a similar diet -- NT based but also carb-restricted. I make smoothies daily, but they are probably not as fancy and impressive as the ones you're talking about! :-) I use the NT recipe a lot, and I also make coconut milk smoothies (instead of yogurt/kefir) since coconut oil is so beneficial for weight loss and for controlling candida (which my dd and I both have problems with). You can add a bit of dolomite powder to them for calcium and magnesium. You can add some ground flax for omega-3. That's about all I do.

Timely post, as I just had my first green smoothie this week... I put a banana, some milk, a drizzle of maple syrup and a big handful of chopped kale in the blender and poof, instant fresh! Just bought some flax meal to add to the next one, and soy milk to replace the regular milk.

Will also see what kind of greens I get from the CSA share today...

We do frozen fruit (I prefer berries), plain non-fat yogurt, vanilla soy milk. Sometimes flaxseed oil or something like that. Very nice in the hot summer.

We made some for company the other day and it was a bit too healthy for that bunch, they would have preferred ice cream. Oh well.

We follow a similar diet -- NT based but also carb-restricted. I make smoothies daily, but they are probably not as fancy and impressive as the ones you're talking about! :-) I use the NT recipe a lot, and I also make coconut milk smoothies (instead of yogurt/kefir) since coconut oil is so beneficial for weight loss and for controlling candida (which my dd and I both have problems with). You can add a bit of dolomite powder to them for calcium and magnesium. You can add some ground flax for omega-3. That's about all I do.

:lol::lol: Sorry about that. SWB used to make jokes on the old board about

how the Peace Hill Press staff would make heaving noises :tongue_smilie: whenever the conference came up. It is a really good conference in spite of the name.

What is dolomite powder? I think that was something she had.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have read some convincing evidence that one of the reasons people struggle with candida after they eliminate the carbs is they move to a high fat diet. I have seen personally that the best cure for candida seems to be a low fat diet of mostly raw veggies, few nuts and seeds, and some fruit.

We do raw foods, and make smoothies. I don't use any packets of anything. Nor does any of the raw food community that I asscociate with.

The key for me is to use as wide a variety as possible.

I use cacao nibs often. Do you have question about them?

I think your diet sounds healthy!

~Lisa

What do you do with the nibs? Healthy diet, I still need to lose weight. I think that nursing is holding me back or the last few pregnancies have changed my metabolism.