Menu

If you use Singapore math to afterschool...

This will be my first year of after-schooling.

We used Singapore primary math for the vacancies and now my ds is starting second grade. He is in SM 2B and we have a time block of 30 minutes 3 days a week, plus 30 minutes of piano practice everyday.

Thanks, everyone. Averaging 30 min 3-4 times a week is what I was envisioning as well. It is a delicate balance to do regular schoolwork, piano practice, math, and sports (which thankfully this semester are on the weekends) AND supply a nice chunk of free form playtime which my son really craves.

It looks like most of you also use Beast Academy. I had a look at the materials and felt a little overwhelmed. How does it compare to Singapore Math, in your view?

We only do one worksheet page (back and front) per day - every day including weekends. My 2nd graders are on 3A and my 4th grader is on 6A - I try to have them finish a years worth in a school year but we end up ahead because of summer. One of my 2nd graders needs more review so I also slow him down a bit with other supplements.

Edited by snazzy

Thanks, everyone. Averaging 30 min 3-4 times a week is what I was envisioning as well. It is a delicate balance to do regular schoolwork, piano practice, math, and sports (which thankfully this semester are on the weekends) AND supply a nice chunk of free form playtime which my son really craves.

It looks like most of you also use Beast Academy. I had a look at the materials and felt a little overwhelmed. How does it compare to Singapore Math, in your view?

DD calls BA "fun math" we're plodding it through it mostly b/c DD is doing so many other things. We usually do one workbook page (front/back) on Saturday or Sunday but sometimes DD asks to do that in lieu of her regular 4 pgs of SM.