Menu

DD 9 struggling to transition from homeschool to public school.

More specifically, she's having a hard time transitioning from one-on-one instruction to being in a classroom. She isn't understanding the instructions from the teacher, and it's making her look like she's behind, when in reality, she's what they're learning is review for her. Any suggestions? I've emailed the teacher briefly, but I'm worried I'll come across as a "my child can do no wrong" parent if I go into specifics.

Actually we started in October of her 4th grade year.

The first few weeks we had (almost) daily notes home from the teacher asking us to consider putting her back a grade because she was having trouble adapting. DD was way above average and I knew putting her back would not help... dd had to learn the ropes-- and she did! She ended the year as 'teacher's pet' and the top student in her grade. She came back home the next year.. then off to PS for 6th -9th then home for the rest of high school-- whatever she needed at the time.

Give your dd time-- and ask HER how things are going... for my dd it was not the academics-- it was lunch room procedures (they assume all 4th graders already know all of the rules...) using a combination lock (locker for gym shoes) and other piddly stuff.

Once dd got used to asking for help/clarification of rules things got a lot better.

DD10 started school again this year. And readily admits how challenging finding her classes, dealing with her locker, finding the right bus to come home can be. But those are not really academic issues. We are lucky that all of her teachers insist that all students use a planner for organization. And lucky that she feels comfortable talking directly with teachers/admin folks to get information (advantage of homeschooling?). I am confident she 'll get over the little issues.

It might help to have a conference w/the teacher and discuss the ways you see dd struggling and ask teacher for ideas to help or at least give her a heads up. I don't think it will come across as you think she does no wrong and in a face to face meeting, you will minimize the risks of miscommunication.

My DD now 9 is in 4th...she is transitioning from Private school to public school and having a hard time. I kept asking what the hw was and she wasnt sure what the teacher wanted her to write down and such. I finally just sent a note and asked the teacher to go over it one on one with her on the side and explain what she is to write down each day or week and what everyday things she needs to be doing. I think it really helped my dd!! I left a message yesterday to ask some other questions and go over some stuff with her teacher...but that few minutes the teacher spent with her alone made a huge difference.

I think the key is to keep you communication open and write notes everyday if you have to!!