Menu

We are spending a year on geography and I

would like to match Dialect/Rhetoric literature to go along with our study. I would love individual suggestion or if you know of someone who has already planned a year like this.

I am using the BJUP geography text for a spine. I am currently gathering resources. It would be wonderful if this has already been planned by someone.

Lightning Literature -- World Lit 1

- An Artist of the Floating World -- ASIA: Japan, post-WW2

- Things Fall Apart -- AFRICA: Nigeria, 20th century

- This Same Sky -- WORLD: poems from around the world

- Fountain and Tomb -- MIDDLE EAST: 20th cent. Egypt (yes, I know that's in N. Africa, but culturally it is very Middle Eastern)

Lightning Literature -- World Lit 2

- A Thousand Pieces of Gold -- ASIA/US: China/US, late 19th century

- Malgudi Days -- ASIA: India, mythical short stories

- My Invented Country -- S. AMERICA: Chile, late 20th century

- Other Voices, Other Vistas -- WORLD: China, India, Japan, Latin American short stories

- In the Name of Identity -- WORLD: philosophical look at violence from Lebonese author who lives in France

The following two short story collections have fantastical works by authors around the world: Black Water; and Black Water 2, both edited by Alberto Manguel. Below are some other ideas, by country. BEST of luck finding works -- and please post if you find a list! Warmest regards, Lori D.

AFRICA

- Cry, the Beloved Country (Paton) -- South Africa, 20th century

ASIA

China:

- Joy Luck Club (Tan) -- series of vingettes set in China/US 19th-20th cent.; written by 20th cent. Chinese American

Japan:

- The Samurai (Endu) -- set in 16th century Japan; written by 20th cent. Japanese author

- Hiroshima (Hersey) -- biographical accounts of A-bomb victims in WW2 by an American author

India:

- City of Joy (Lapierre) -- French priest living/working in the slums of Calcutta India

EUROPE

Russia:

- "How Much Land Does A Man Need" (Leo Tolstoy) -- short story by 19th cent. author

- Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) -- 19th cent. author; story of sin, conviction, redemption

- "The Nose" (Nikolai Gogol) -- satirical short story by 19th cent. author; impressionist modernism and absurdism

- short story by Anton Chekov -- 19th cent. author

- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn) -- story of 1950s Soviet labor camp, by 20th cent. Russian author

Eastern Europe:

- "The Metamorphisis (Franz Kafka) -- Austria-Hungarian Jewish author of the late 19th/early 20th cent.

- short story by Bruno Schultz -- Polish Jew killed in WW2; magical

Poland:

- A Day of Pleasure (Isaac Singer) -- biographical sketches of Jewish ghetto, pre-WW1; OR, a short story by Singer

Germany:

- Faust (Goethe) -- "deal with the devil" story by 18th/19th cent. German author

- All Quiet of the Western Front (Remarque) -- biographical account of WW1

Spain:

- Don Quixote (by Miguel Cervantes) -- 1400s; Spain under Moorish (Islamic) influence

France:

- Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) -- 19th century author

Italy:

- Cosmicomics (Italio Calvino)

Select some short stories from this collection by 20th cent. author with existential philosophy. WARNING, while most of these stories are fine, much of Calvino's novels and other have graphic casual sexuality.

Denmark

- short story by Isak Dinesen, 19th century authoress

Norway:

- a play by Henrik Ibsen, 19th century playwright, the "father of modern drama"

S. AMERICA

- short story by Jorge Borges -- 20th cent. Argentina surrealist author

- short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 20th cent. Colombia "magic realism" author; WARNING: most of his works contain graphic sexuality, death, etc.

N. AMERICA

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven) -- Pacific Northwest tribe of 20th century through a missionary's eyes; written by US 20th century author

This geography-unit study was requested by both my boys age 11/15. I was really having a hard time aligning the literature with country studies.

I am so excited this is going to be a great year, now that I am not stressing over the literature.

Here are a few books that we used in that manner,

Kon Tiki

Robinson Crusoe paired with In Search of Robinson Crusoe by Tim Severin

Tim Severin has several books that can be paired with classic books that will make geography and history come alive.

Moby Dick and In Search of Moby Dick: Quest for the White Whale. by Tim Severin.

The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin is another good one.

A lot of his books are out of print but they are worth the hunt.

Around the World in Eighty Days.

Midshipman Quinn was fun to read and then to map the French coast and ports, various ports in England and the Mediterranean.

A very interesting book for Ireland and the Irish War of Independence (Black and Tan) in the 20s is The Quite Man and Other Stories by Maurice Walsh also titled Green Rushes. The book is so far from the movie that it is :eek: almost unrecognizable.

HTH

Michael Palin, who was one of the Monty Python group does some excellent travel video's. One series is called "Full Circle" "Pole to Pole" and "80 Days". We have seen these and laughed so hard at some of the situations Michael has encountered....eating grubs, etc. They will make some of the places your dc will study come alive. Many libraries carry these series. Here is his website http://palinstravels.co.uk/index.php I can't recall if there are any aspects which should be scensored, but we watched them with our children when they were 9 and 11.

A Book of Discovery by Synge is a book that covers many historical explorers and their adventures- Alexander the Great in India, Captain Cook and Australia, those sorts of things. I intend to use it for Geography at some stage, doing lots of mapwork alongside.