Menu

Year 2 if Rainbow science for high school ?'s

I am considering using Rainbow science's second year (bio. and earth science) for our freshmen year of science. My son will be taking pre-algebra this same year. I would probably do the bio, chem, physics for sophmore through senior years. I want him to be prepared for college, but at this point we are thinking he will not be entering a competitive school.

I know there are mixed reviews on using Rainbow for 9th, however, I am comfortable using the program for high school and have some ideas on bringing in some supplementary materials. What I do not know, is how to label the class for a transcript. I saw where some were calling it physical, but this part of the book is more biology and earth. Would I, or could I, just call it a semester of Intro to biology, and a semester of earth science (or maybe earth/space if I bring in some astronomy resources). Or would I need something more mainstream or different? I want our transcripts to blend in a good way with other transcripts. In our state, the high school requirements are life, physical, and earth/space.

I would love any advice on how to make this high school credit worthy, and what best to call the class. Also, if anyone has any other advice or suggestions for 9th grade, that would also be great. I was planning on holding off on the tougher science courses until my son started algebra in 10th grade.

Thank you.

Alison

If your state requires earth/space for college admissions, and you're going to do bio/chem/phys in 10-12, then you're going to have to figure out a way to fit in earth/space science.

Having looked at the scope/sequence for rainbow it does look like the second half has a fair amount of earth science coverage, but I would be reluctant to call it more than half a credit. I would check specifically with some of the universities he might attend as to whether a half-credit of life and a half-credit of earth/space will suffice or whether a full credit of earth/space is necessary.

I know there are mixed reviews on using Rainbow for 9th, however, I am comfortable using the program for high school and have some ideas on bringing in some supplementary materials.

Because we hadn't had any chemistry introduction in the materials that we used for 7th and 8th grades, I thought it would be helpful to get the Rainbow book for an introduction to chem...Now, it was the 1st edition, so I don't know how much it has changed for the 2nd edition - but my daughter read through the chemistry section in 3 days (1 hr/day). She was somewhat offended that I would give her such a text since it was so simplified. I had to tell her several times that I just wanted her to have an overview and introduction that was at an easier level before jumping into something more complex.

Sooo...I would think that you would have to supplement so much that you might as well just use a different program...

Or go through it without supplements, then on to Earth/Space....

Joan

I spoke with one college and they said it would be fine if I didn't do an earth/space year, but instead did chemistry. I think in KY it's listed as life, physical, and earth/space. Maybe they considered the chemistry a higher level than earth/space.

For this child, short, frequent lessons are the only way to go. However, I can beef up the program. I just really like the looks of it and since I have the first half, I'm thinking I'd like to use it all for next year too.