Menu

Could you compare KONOS and Weaver for me? Other options?

I'm wanting to move to a curriculum that enables me to teach all of my children together. I'm currently using mostly Heart of Dakota, which I like ... but I don't like my children (and myself!) being segmented all day.

A friend just recently gave me her old Volumes 1 & 3 of KONOS, so I'm able to get a bit of a handle on what that's like. I like what I see, although it would obviously be a big change to go from HOD's structure to KONOS. I guess I'm wondering if there might be something else that would be a little less planning. I'm also toying with the idea of doing KONOS with a greater emphasis on reading aloud, and a little less on activities. (We really LOVE reading aloud here!)

I'm also curious about Weaver, though, and I haven't been able to learn much about it online. How does it compare to KONOS? Would there be less planning for me to do (and less options)? I know that with KONOS I could hop around with our interests, but Weaver is not that way, right? What would our day look like with Weaver?

I'm trying to see if there are other options for us. I've looked at TOG and MFW, but I don't think they are for us. I've also looked at TruthQuest, MOH, and Biblioplan.

Are there any others that you can think of that would allow children ages K-8th grade to learn together? I like how KONOS and Weaver include history and science.

Thanks!:001_smile:

Of the two, I think Konos would be easier, and honestly more fun. It separates kids into young, middle, and older age groups along the same topic, and the colored lesson plan pages do most of the planning for you already. You gather some books (the ones listed or similar ones that you have on hand), let your kids help you gather supplies (and clean up their messes :)), and you're set. Weaver made me work harder because the resources seemed harder to locate, and each child is separated by grade level and most days all are doing different work. I personally struggled with that much scheduled detail, and liked the flexibility of Konos better. We have many happy memories of our Konos days, and lots of pictures, too. :001_smile:

You know, they are both really excellent and I've owned both at one time. You know, you get interested and for $7 pick up a used old one at the used book sale... I got good ideas from both.

Both are full of terrific ideas and would be fun for the ages of your little ones.

I actually think a lot of it depends on YOUR style. For example, reading through Konos excited me more. However, I liked the format of Weaver more. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be Weaver because I actually think our family would be more successful using Weaver than Konos. I just liked the organization of it.

Have you considered My Father's World? I like its organization even better than Weaver and Konos. And, I also like Christian Cottage unit studies.

If at all possible, look at online samples (or even better, borrow them for side-by-side comparison). Whatever you pick needs to click with you. And we're all wired differently.

Have fun!!!!

Edited by Bassoonaroo
You'd think I'd know how to punctuate by now...

Of the two, I think Konos would be easier, and honestly more fun. It separates kids into young, middle, and older age groups along the same topic, and the colored lesson plan pages do most of the planning for you already. You gather some books (the ones listed or similar ones that you have on hand), let your kids help you gather supplies (and clean up their messes :)), and you're set. Weaver made me work harder because the resources seemed harder to locate, and each child is separated by grade level and most days all are doing different work. I personally struggled with that much scheduled detail, and liked the flexibility of Konos better. We have many happy memories of our Konos days, and lots of pictures, too. :001_smile:

Thanks so much, Ginger! I didn't realize that Weaver is more grade level oriented. I think I would prefer the flexibility of the age ranges in KONOS. My KONOS Volume 1 is so old that it doesn't have the lesson plan pages, but I could always look for a used newer one to buy. I'd like to think I could do it without the lesson plan pages, but I think they might make things easier.

Thanks again!:001_smile:

You know, they are both really excellent and I've owned both at one time. You know, you get interested and for $7 pick up a used old one at the used book sale... I got good ideas from both.

Both are full of terrific ideas and would be fun for the ages of your little ones.

I actually think a lot of it depends on YOUR style. For example, reading through Konos excited me more. However, I liked the format of Weaver more. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be Weaver because I actually think our family would be more successful using Weaver than Konos. I just liked the organization of it.

Have you considered My Father's World? I like its organization even better than Weaver and Konos. And, I also like Christian Cottage unit studies.

If at all possible, look at online samples (or even better, borrow them for side-by-side comparison). Whatever you pick needs to click with you. And we're all wired differently.

Have fun!!!!

My Father's World isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I could check out Christian Cottage.

I'm having trouble finding Weaver samples. Could anyone direct me?

Thanks so much!!!

Weaver is chronological and KONOS is topical. KONOS is more hands-on and Weaver more of a books/audio type thing. Weaver really worked well for my oldest and we used it for a number of years. We looked at KONOS when she was about to hit the high school years and her comment was, "It IS possible to study something without experiencing it!". She didn't see the need to make all of history into an arts and crafts project and I agreed. KONOS was an overreaction to the days of BJUP and ABeka, when that is ALL there was! Mrs. Hulcey (IMO) went a bit far the other way. It works wonderfully if you do all the cool projects in a co-op setting. If not, I think you'd drive yourself nuts. I simply don't think it's necessary to set up the entire living room as the parts of the inner ear to crawl through them to get the idea. If you picked and chose and added in the read-alouds, KONOS is a wonderful program. The problem is, most moms think they have to do it all and they fail. Oh, and my other quibble with KONOS is that they do American history to death. No ancients etc. until way later.

Margaret, thanks so much for this comparison between KONOS and Weaver. I just wish I could get my hands on a Weaver guide to actually see what it's like! I'm glad I have two KONOS guides in my hands ... that helps!

If I do KONOS, I'm thinking of going heavier on the read-alouds and lighter on the activities. I'm just wired more that way, and my children love read-alouds. Also, with a newborn coming soon, it's much easier to sit and nurse a newborn while reading aloud than while doing an elaborate project. I'm thinking that if I plan for at least one fun crawl-through-the-ear type project per week that it will be enough. Many of the KONOS activity ideas are discussing or researching something, so those are certainly doable. Mainly, I want to learn with my children all together.

Thanks again, Margaret! :001_smile:

Well, as you can see, I'm a confirmed TOG lover now. However, when my guys were littles - KONOS was great for us. I prefered their already planned out units on obedience, attentiveness. You can buy those books seperately from the "in a box." set.

Margaret, thanks so much for this comparison between KONOS and Weaver. I just wish I could get my hands on a Weaver guide to actually see what it's like! I'm glad I have two KONOS guides in my hands ... that helps!

If I do KONOS, I'm thinking of going heavier on the read-alouds and lighter on the activities. I'm just wired more that way, and my children love read-alouds. Also, with a newborn coming soon, it's much easier to sit and nurse a newborn while reading aloud than while doing an elaborate project. I'm thinking that if I plan for at least one fun crawl-through-the-ear type project per week that it will be enough. Many of the KONOS activity ideas are discussing or researching something, so those are certainly doable. Mainly, I want to learn with my children all together.

Thanks again, Margaret! :001_smile:

We LOVED the Weaver guides. I have 2 for sale, in case anyone is interested. :)

I sent you a private message! ;)

Can you tell me what you loved about the Weaver guides?

Also, can someone tell me if I would have to start with the first Weaver guide, or is it okay to jump in with a later guide? I'd prefer to do modern history right now.

I'm wanting to move to a curriculum that enables me to teach all of my children together. I'm currently using mostly Heart of Dakota, which I like ... but I don't like my children (and myself!) being segmented all day.

A friend just recently gave me her old Volumes 1 & 3 of KONOS, so I'm able to get a bit of a handle on what that's like. I like what I see, although it would obviously be a big change to go from HOD's structure to KONOS. I guess I'm wondering if there might be something else that would be a little less planning. I'm also toying with the idea of doing KONOS with a greater emphasis on reading aloud, and a little less on activities. (We really LOVE reading aloud here!)

I'm also curious about Weaver, though, and I haven't been able to learn much about it online. How does it compare to KONOS? Would there be less planning for me to do (and less options)? I know that with KONOS I could hop around with our interests, but Weaver is not that way, right? What would our day look like with Weaver?

I'm trying to see if there are other options for us. I've looked at TOG and MFW, but I don't think they are for us. I've also looked at TruthQuest, MOH, and Biblioplan.

Are there any others that you can think of that would allow children ages K-8th grade to learn together? I like how KONOS and Weaver include history and science.

I borrowed a friend's Weaver so I could live with it for a week or so and get a really good feel for it.

Reasons I chose KONOS over the Weaver:

I prefer KONOS's lack of emphasis on grade level. (This was back in the day before KONOS had lesson plans, which I recommend not using at all. :)). When I read through the activities, I could tell which ones were interesting for my children, and which ones would work better for helping both of them learn at the same time. The "grade level" was unnecessary and irrelevant.

I prefer KONOS's emphasis on godly character traits.

I prefer KONOS's flexiblity.

And I *love* the fact that everything I need to know is right in the KONOS volume. I can use outside resources if I want to, but if I just don't have time to go to the library for *this* activity, I can choose a dozen more which are completely contained in the book.

OTOH, KONOS is about the activities. If you emphasize reading aloud, you'll miss a boatload. And I guess it depends on what you mean by "skipping around." With Vol. 1 and 3, you can do the character traits in any order; Vol. 2 needs to be done in order. But you would still do *one* character trait at a time to get the most bang for your buck.

FTR, HOD hurts my eyeballs. I know that there are many HOD supporters, but honestly, it looks like a public school classroom where the method is "teaching across the curriculum." It's way too regimented and scripted for me. My children would have been :001_huh: if I had tried to do it with them.

I borrowed a friend's Weaver so I could live with it for a week or so and get a really good feel for it.

Reasons I chose KONOS over the Weaver:

I prefer KONOS's lack of emphasis on grade level. (This was back in the day before KONOS had lesson plans, which I recommend not using at all. :)). When I read through the activities, I could tell which ones were interesting for my children, and which ones would work better for helping both of them learn at the same time. The "grade level" was unnecessary and irrelevant.

I prefer KONOS's emphasis on godly character traits.

I prefer KONOS's flexiblity.

And I *love* the fact that everything I need to know is right in the KONOS volume. I can use outside resources if I want to, but if I just don't have time to go to the library for *this* activity, I can choose a dozen more which are completely contained in the book.

Thank you for this comparison, Ellie! I think I would like KONOS for the same reason you do. I think I'll feel most comfortable settling on KONOS if I can get my hands on the Weaver first.

OTOH, KONOS is about the activities. If you emphasize reading aloud, you'll miss a boatload. And I guess it depends on what you mean by "skipping around." With Vol. 1 and 3, you can do the character traits in any order; Vol. 2 needs to be done in order. But you would still do *one* character trait at a time to get the most bang for your buck.

It seems to me like KONOS is designed to be mostly activities. I'd probably have to give reading and activities equal time to make it work for my family, but I don't mean that I wouldn't do activities. Do you think that equal time for reading and activities would still work with KONOS?

As far as skipping around, I just mean that if we did a month-long unit on Attentiveness from Volume 1, then I saw a need or interest in my children in a character quality from Volume 3 that I could do that.

FTR, HOD hurts my eyeballs. I know that there are many HOD supporters, but honestly, it looks like a public school classroom where the method is "teaching across the curriculum." It's way too regimented and scripted for me. My children would have been :001_huh: if I had tried to do it with them.

I'm very interested in your assessment of HOD. I don't want to be doing things like a public school classroom. I want to inspire my children and give them freedom to learn at their own pace. I guess I just don't trust myself to teach and make decisions without a teacher's guide that has it all laid out for me. I think I need to be willing to try, though. I'm a box-checker, so it's not easy for me!:lol:

Something I struggle with is knowing how much physical writing (copywork, compositions, etc.) my children need to do each day. I think that HOD requires lots of writing ... maybe too much? (I'd love opinions on this ... especially for boys.) I'm afraid with KONOS that my children won't have enough writing, or that I just won't know how much to give them. Any thoughts or suggestions about this, Ellie or someone else? If I go to KONOS, I think my son would be doing less writing each day than he's doing now (which he would LOVE!), but I don't know if that's good.

How do I determine how much writing is appropriate each day for an 11 year old boy? I know that when I am letting HOD determine this, that is still an arbitrary amount, but it just feels official because it's written in the guide!:D Is there hope for me?:001_smile:

It seems to me like KONOS is designed to be mostly activities. I'd probably have to give reading and activities equal time to make it work for my family, but I don't mean that I wouldn't do activities. Do you think that equal time for reading and activities would still work with KONOS?

I'm not sure how to answer that, as it isn't an either/or thing.

The activities are the heart of KONOS, because KONOS is all about *doing* and learning. The library books are completely optional. In fact, I don't know how you could read all of the suggested books--or even a good portion of them--in the length of time you would be setting aside to do, say, the subunit of Frontiersmen in Attentiveness. Of course, you could go ahead and check out the library books and just keep reading them, even if you're past Frontiersmen, KWIM?

As far as skipping around, I just mean that if we did a month-long unit on Attentiveness from Volume 1, then I saw a need or interest in my children in a character quality from Volume 3 that I could do that.

Huh. Your children need *all* of the character traits, yes? IMHO, it takes way too much mental power to go through all the volumes and go back and forth between them. Also, Vol. 1 is mostly suitable for children up to around 9yo; Vol. 2 for children up to 11 or 12; Vol. 3 up to 12 or 13. Which doesn't mean that younger children can't do the activities in Vol. 2 or 3, only that you teach to the oldest child and let the littles come along. And that's because the authors had young children when they wrote Vol. 1, Vol. 2 when they were older, and Vol. 3...see?

I'm very interested in your assessment of HOD. I don't want to be doing things like a public school classroom. I want to inspire my children and give them freedom to learn at their own pace. I guess I just don't trust myself to teach and make decisions without a teacher's guide that has it all laid out for me. I think I need to be willing to try, though. I'm a box-checker, so it's not easy for me!:lol:

IKWYM. I just can't bear the teacher-ish tone of HOD.

Something I struggle with is knowing how much physical writing (copywork, compositions, etc.) my children need to do each day. I think that HOD requires lots of writing ... maybe too much? (I'd love opinions on this ... especially for boys.) I'm afraid with KONOS that my children won't have enough writing, or that I just won't know how much to give them. Any thoughts or suggestions about this, Ellie or someone else? If I go to KONOS, I think my son would be doing less writing each day than he's doing now (which he would LOVE!), but I don't know if that's good.

But KONOS isn't supposed to be a writing course. You do KONOS for history, geography, science, arts and crafts, Bible; and you choose something else for English skills and math, and you follow the schedules for *those*. It's not a big deal. Really. :-)

In our home, I found that it worked better to have two KONOS days a week, when we did only KONOS activities, and English (grammar, writing, etc.) and math on the other two days (we only do 4 days a week). Some people manage to do some KONOS activities each day, plus the other subjects. I'm just OCD.:D

How do I determine how much writing is appropriate each day for an 11 year old boy? I know that when I am letting HOD determine this, that is still an arbitrary amount, but it just feels official because it's written in the guide!:D Is there hope for me?:001_smile:

The activities are the heart of KONOS, because KONOS is all about *doing* and learning. The library books are completely optional. In fact, I don't know how you could read all of the suggested books--or even a good portion of them--in the length of time you would be setting aside to do, say, the subunit of Frontiersmen in Attentiveness. Of course, you could go ahead and check out the library books and just keep reading them, even if you're past Frontiersmen, KWIM?

This is really helpful, Ellie. :001_smile: I think I'm so used to everything being very reading-oriented (I've also used Sonlight in the past), that I think of reading as the only option! Did you give your children independent reading from the suggestions in the KONOS guide?

Huh. Your children need *all* of the character traits, yes? IMHO, it takes way too much mental power to go through all the volumes and go back and forth between them. Also, Vol. 1 is mostly suitable for children up to around 9yo; Vol. 2 for children up to 11 or 12; Vol. 3 up to 12 or 13. Which doesn't mean that younger children can't do the activities in Vol. 2 or 3, only that you teach to the oldest child and let the littles come along. And that's because the authors had young children when they wrote Vol. 1, Vol. 2 when they were older, and Vol. 3...see?

You're right that they need all the character qualities! I think the ideal volume for us right now would be Volume 2 ... which is the only one I don't own. :D I'll have to consider that.

But KONOS isn't supposed to be a writing course. You do KONOS for history, geography, science, arts and crafts, Bible; and you choose something else for English skills and math, and you follow the schedules for *those*. It's not a big deal. Really. :-)

Thank you so much for telling me this, Ellie! I think I'm so used to how HOD has writing intermingled within all of the subjects, that I was feeling like it would be necessary to continue to do things that way. I think my son would enjoy history, science, etc. much more if there wasn't much written work involved.

We have a writing and grammar program. We have a spelling program. If he's doing those most days, then he's getting writing, isn't he? :) :) :)

Wow ... you really just lifted a weight from my shoulders! :grouphug:

Thanks again for your help, Ellie!

We used Weaver with our oldest (now 21yo) dd. It was a wonderful way to start homeschool Kindergarten (using the Interlock), which is a year long look at each day of Creation. (It is overtly Christian in world view.)

K was our favorite year, and I did all the planning while in the hospital with this dd's emergency/ruptured appendectomy. It was easy to include her younger brother, and school was FUN and educational. We loved it so much that we did school on both Sat & Sun.

We used Weaver for K to 3rd grade. I was getting to the end of the Weaver materials, and there had been a bit of repetition.

My dh surprised me with the brand new WTM book. Long story short, it clicked & we wrapped up the Weaver & started a more detailed & chronological History/Science study. We needed more "meat" as the kids got older, but they now loved learning (because of the Weaver) so the transition was easy.

What we now have done for the past 15 years or so is a compilation of what we liked best about the Weaver AND the WTM. We read living books and swing back & forth between History & Science every 2 weeks or so.

Weaver has SOME hands-on, but I was happy to take her lesson plans and simplify/make them work for our family. Weaver basically taught me how to teach my kids using a Unit Study approach--but which also now includes the Classical approach AND Living books! Ha.

Hope this helps! (I've enjoyed the walk down memory lane as our youngest is now 10yo, still all homeschooled.)

This is really helpful, Ellie. :001_smile:

YW. :)

I think I'm so used to everything being very reading-oriented (I've also used Sonlight in the past), that I think of reading as the only option! Did you give your children independent reading from the suggestions in the KONOS guide?

Nope.

You're right that they need all the character qualities! I think the ideal volume for us right now would be Volume 2 ... which is the only one I don't own. :D I'll have to consider that.

How old are your dc? And do you realize that Vol. 2 is a chronological American history? It's the only volume that requires the character traits to be done in order--the others you can smush around any way you want. :-)

Also, my best advice for KONOS is to take it to a printer and have the spine cut off, and the book drilled for three holes, so you can put the whole thing in a big ol' 3-ring notebook. You take out just the character trait you're working on and put *it* in a smaller 3-ring notebook. And if you have the newer editions with the lesson plans, take them out and file them away in some place dark. You don't need 'em, but you might want to keep them for resale.

Thank you so much for telling me this, Ellie! I think I'm so used to how HOD has writing intermingled within all of the subjects, that I was feeling like it would be necessary to continue to do things that way. I think my son would enjoy history, science, etc. much more if there wasn't much written work involved.

We have a writing and grammar program. We have a spelling program. If he's doing those most days, then he's getting writing, isn't he? :) :) :)

Wow ... you really just lifted a weight from my shoulders! :grouphug:

Thanks again for your help, Ellie!

How old are your dc? And do you realize that Vol. 2 is a chronological American history? It's the only volume that requires the character traits to be done in order--the others you can smush around any way you want. :-)

My children are 11, 8, 6, 3, and soon to be born. :001_smile: And I didn't realize that Volume 2 is a chronological American history!

I was originally thinking of doing Volume 1 this year (not trying to cover every topic, but covering each character trait), then moving on to Volume 2 or 3 the following year.

I wish you could start with volume 1...it's one of our favorites. :) I can still remember sitting on a fake bear rug with my dd, beating an old oatmeal can for a drum, and spinning Native American tales of suspense. We both loved it when daddy put up a teepee in the living room and we sat inside, eating our homemade berry pemmican while he (the big chief :D) pretended to smoke his peace pipe. 22 years ago...it really sticks in your kid's mind when you let them do instead of just hear. If you can get the Konos Creating the Balance videos, they are wonderful, and explain so many questions.

We used Weaver with our oldest (now 21yo) dd. It was a wonderful way to start homeschool Kindergarten (using the Interlock), which is a year long look at each day of Creation. (It is overtly Christian in world view.)

K was our favorite year, and I did all the planning while in the hospital with this dd's emergency/ruptured appendectomy. It was easy to include her younger brother, and school was FUN and educational. We loved it so much that we did school on both Sat & Sun.

We used Weaver for K to 3rd grade. I was getting to the end of the Weaver materials, and there had been a bit of repetition.

My dh surprised me with the brand new WTM book. Long story short, it clicked & we wrapped up the Weaver & started a more detailed & chronological History/Science study. We needed more "meat" as the kids got older, but they now loved learning (because of the Weaver) so the transition was easy.

What we now have done for the past 15 years or so is a compilation of what we liked best about the Weaver AND the WTM. We read living books and swing back & forth between History & Science every 2 weeks or so.

Weaver has SOME hands-on, but I was happy to take her lesson plans and simplify/make them work for our family. Weaver basically taught me how to teach my kids using a Unit Study approach--but which also now includes the Classical approach AND Living books! Ha.

Hope this helps! (I've enjoyed the walk down memory lane as our youngest is now 10yo, still all homeschooled.)

Thanks so much for this detailed description! :001_smile:

I'm wondering if I might be a little late in starting with Weaver because my oldest is already in 5th grade?

I'm right with you in loving living books! My husband isn't concerned about chronological history until high school, so I'm okay with the jumping around of KONOS.

Still so much to think about ...

I'm trying to see if one of the homeschooling families in my area has a Weaver volume that I could borrow to look through.

Thanks again!

I wish you could start with volume 1...it's one of our favorites. :) I can still remember sitting on a fake bear rug with my dd, beating an old oatmeal can for a drum, and spinning Native American tales of suspense. We both loved it when daddy put up a teepee in the living room and we sat inside, eating our homemade berry pemmican while he (the big chief :D) pretended to smoke his peace pipe. 22 years ago...it really sticks in your kid's mind when you let them do instead of just hear. If you can get the Konos Creating the Balance videos, they are wonderful, and explain so many questions.

Well, I might start with volume 1, even though my oldest is 11. We could move on to Volume 2 the following year. :) I love hearing about your memories with your son! KONOS does say that even volume 1 can be used with up to 8th grade, so I might just go with it since I have it. Still pondering that one! :D

I have heard of the Creating the Balance videos, and I am planning to ask for them for Christmas ... unless I can find them used for less in the meantime! If anyone is selling them (ideally in DVD form), I'm interested!:bigear:

Just to be sure you understand...the first volume has challenging work aplenty for older students! They just wrote it first, when their kids were younger, so that explains why they chose *attentiveness* as their first trait, then *obedience*...laying that groundwork that is crucial to well behaved children. :) Those topics are more easily understood by younger students (birds, the senses, kings and queens, etc) but the units contain information that is just as important for the older students to learn, too.

Just to be sure you understand...the first volume has challenging work aplenty for older students! They just wrote it first, when their kids were younger, so that explains why they chose *attentiveness* as their first trait, then *obedience*...laying that groundwork that is crucial to well behaved children. :) Those topics are more easily understood by younger students (birds, the senses, kings and queens, etc) but the units contain information that is just as important for the older students to learn, too.

Ginger ... this is very helpful! :001_smile: Thank you! I was afraid that Volume 1 might be the wrong level for my crew.

I think that Attentiveness and Obedience are character qualities worthy of studying for all my children!

I've looked through the first Attentiveness topic (which is just general Attentiveness), and I'm really looking forward to starting. :001_smile:

• 1 month later...
http://www.aophomeschooling.com/theweavertour.php?utm_source=catalog_weaver&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=catalog

Someone wanted to have a look at Weaver prior to making a choice. There is a link further down in the post that lets you look at volume one along will all the components that go along with vol.1.

HTH

Thanks for posting this! :)

Heart Mom,

You can tailor Weaver to suit your needs. They have Day by Day which gives suggestions of activities but you don't have to follow that. You can plan activities/assignments based only on the objectives. Regarding Konos if you go to their website and watch one of the videos Jessica states that you should begin with vol 1 if your children are 4th grade or younger. Call me crazy but I am thinking of combining the two. Using Konos when we cover certain topics for rabbit trails. Currently using STOW vol 2 but decided to do the unit that discusses Kings and Queens since it ties in. I ordered Interlock and will decide if we will continue with Vol. 1 next year. I am having a hard time teaching each kid seperately. I need something that is going to unify us more. Something has to give, I don't see myself continuing on this path successfully much longer. TOG is still too literature based and very expensive. Something about MFW did not resonate with me. Tried HOD and sold it quickly. The layout of Weaver appeals to my teaching style. Let us know what you decide. Wishing you the best.

Heart Mom,

You can tailor Weaver to suit your needs. They have Day by Day which gives suggestions of activities but you don't have to follow that. You can plan activities/assignments based only on the objectives. Regarding Konos if you go to their website and watch one of the videos Jessica states that you should begin with vol 1 if your children are 4th grade or younger. Call me crazy but I am thinking of combining the two. Using Konos when we cover certain topics for rabbit trails. Currently using STOW vol 2 but decided to do the unit that discusses Kings and Queens since it ties in. I ordered Interlock and will decide if we will continue with Vol. 1 next year. I am having a hard time teaching each kid seperately. I need something that is going to unify us more. Something has to give, I don't see myself continuing on this path successfully much longer. TOG is still too literature based and very expensive. Something about MFW did not resonate with me. Tried HOD and sold it quickly. The layout of Weaver appeals to my teaching style. Let us know what you decide. Wishing you the best.

Thanks so much! At this point we're leaning toward KONOS. When I emailed Jessica and asked her if it would be okay to start with Volume 1 with my children, she said it would be fine. I really want to spend some time on attentiveness and obedience! :D

We just bought their 7 hour video set called "Creating the Balance" and started watching it last night. I think it will help my husband and I get a feel for whether or not it will work for our family.

Thanks so much! At this point we're leaning toward KONOS. When I emailed Jessica and asked her if it would be okay to start with Volume 1 with my children, she said it would be fine. I really want to spend some time on attentiveness and obedience! :D

We just bought their 7 hour video set called "Creating the Balance" and started watching it last night. I think it will help my husband and I get a feel for whether or not it will work for our family.

One of my friend that uses Konos said that video was very helpful.

• 5 months later...