Menu

Is Rod & Staff Grd. 1 Reading - flash/phrase card question

alisoncooks

ETA: NEVERMIND! R&S LISTS THE FLASHCARDS USED ON THEIR WEBSITE! I KNOW WHAT I'LL BE MAKING TONIGHT! :D :D

I am buying this set 2nd-hand and it does not come with the flash cards and phrase cards. I can see the phrase cards being useful in building fluency...

Does the Teacher's Guide actually show/tell what the cards say when they are being used in a lesson, or does it just say something like "use cards 22-34," etc? (If it's the former, I could make my own cards as we come across them in the books...)

Did you use the cards? All of them, none of them, just 1 set (phonics, words, phrases)?

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by alisoncooks

I have used R&S reading 1 twice, and the flashcards still sit unopened in my cabinet. :D So hold off on making flashcards until you are sure that you will need them. I started the reading lessons slightly behind the phonics lessons so that the phonics rules could just be applied to the words they encountered in their reading. I only ever encountered a handful of words that they were trying to teach as sight words that they had not already covered the phonics rule for, making the flashcards unnecessary.

I bought all of the flash cards and used them a little, but found they really weren't necessary for my ds. I think it depends on your child. For math, my ds needed the flash cards and used them extensively, but for reading, he was able to grasp the concepts easily without them, so we evenutally dropped them. I'd begin without them and see if they become necessary.

ETA: NEVERMIND! R&S LISTS THE FLASHCARDS USED ON THEIR WEBSITE! I KNOW WHAT I'LL BE MAKING TONIGHT! :D :D

I am buying this set 2nd-hand and it does not come with the flash cards and phrase cards. I can see the phrase cards being useful in building fluency...

Does the Teacher's Guide actually show/tell what the cards say when they are being used in a lesson, or does it just say something like "use cards 22-34," etc? (If it's the former, I could make my own cards as we come across them in the books...)

Did you use the cards? All of them, none of them, just 1 set (phonics, words, phrases)?

Thanks for the feedback!

I followed the lesson plans in the TM to the letter, and that includes using the flash cards. The TM tells you exactly which materials you'll need for each lesson.

I would never use the *reading* materials again. I don't believe in and see no reason for having children memorize words or phrases. JMHO. :)