Menu

H.S. 9th Grade son with Autism

Maytag

I'm so confused. My son has Autism PDD. He is AWESOME! Very social and approriate. Things I've worked very hard to make happen.

We start our 9th grade year Tues and I really want him to have a diploma when he graduates. My dilema... He is not learning at a 9th grade level. He hates certain subjects and I can not see teaching him English 9. He just doesnt get English. How do I get around this if 3 years of English is required for H.S.

We have used Accellerated Christian Education and he seems to like that style of learning.

Any suggestions would help. If you've been in this same situation please let me know what works or worked for you. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Blessings

Selena

See, i dont understand all this 'graduation requirements' stuff. You are not giving a government diploma. You dont have to adhere to government requirements. SWB isnt giving your son a diploma, so you dont have to adhere to HER requirements. If you think he wants to go to a 4 year college, he might be handicapped by not having taken the appropriate classes at the appropriate times, but otherwise, its not a huge deal. You can give him a mom diploma when MOM says he is done.

am i right here? :001_huh:

am i right here? :001_huh:

:D

Teach him at a level appropriate to his abilities, whatever they maybe.

A typical high school will have AP English, Honors English, A level English, and Remedial English. They do this because all kids aren't the same and need more or less challenging courses.

Make him work hard and challenge him, but do that at a level that's appropriate to his abilities, needs, and goals.

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I do not believe he will ever attend college. We have been to see his cousins graduate and he has mentioned that he can't wait to "walk the stage". That opportunity is provided in our area. However, if I can't teach the requirements.... He can't walk in the ceremony and get a diploma.

Doesn't ACE have an accredited program?

I'm not sure what your state requirements are so I really am not sure what to tell you. My oldest is not on grade level - autism and dyslexia - but he wants to get a vocational degree in video and sound production and will attend the local community college.

Ok, maybe i'm being dense, but i really dont understand what you are saying.

You say there is an opportunity for him to 'walk across the stage' ... do you mean a homeschool graduation ceremony, or do you mean he can get a diploma from your public school, or a diploma from some sort of umbrella school you are using?

In my area, afaik, the homeschool graduation does NOT have any requirements.

In my area, homeschoolers can not attend a public school graduation.

And if you have an umbrella school, THEY should set the requirements.

So, why do you think the state requirements will effect your son?

The public schools do offer many levels of the same subject--from college, gifted, regular, remedial, and even lower. My daughter is in a special education classroom at the highschool and she has kids in her room that are NON readers up to a 6th grade level (for 9-12th grade) and they are all taught the proper subjects at THEIR level with a focus on practical application and life skills.

You can always have him "graduate" with his friends/homeschool classmates with a "certificate of completion" which means you know he didn't meet the state guidelines for a diploma but he did work hard and completed his program. In our state this would allow him to access young adult special education/vocational services until he is 26 whereas if he gets a diploma he wouldn't qualify.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I appreciate your insight. Ive decided to continue on the path we have always taken and that is to learn at his pace and to accomodate to his needs. I was really hung up on the graduation ceremony. Which I can always throw myself ;)