Menu

Growing with Grammar VS Easy Grammar

Alison in KY

I've used Growing with Grammar for a year and I really like it. I've always heard that Easy Grammar is a great program. For those who have tried both, or even just one, what was it that you really liked about it? I always get curriculum envy and even though I'm happy with Growing with Grammar...I always want to try Easy Grammar...and any other new program out there of course.

Alison in KY

I have not been able to hold Growing with Grammar in my hand, but the samples on the Web site look very similar to Easy Grammar. What sold me on Easy Grammar, however, is that it teaches prepositional phrases first. This is so logical and really simplifies everything else, IMHO.

I have not been able to hold Growing with Grammar in my hand, but the samples on the Web site look very similar to Easy Grammar. What sold me on Easy Grammar, however, is that it teaches propositional phrases first. This is so logical and really simplifies everything else, IMHO.

Ellie! I can't believe you'd tout ANY product that teaches PROPOSITIONAL phrases!!! I'm shocked and amazed!!!!

I'm curious as to the differences too.

I've used Easy Grammar for the past 3 years with 4 of my children. I've found that it's easy to implement and that they've all learned a lot of grammar. I also apply the EG way to our Latin study -- underlining, labelling, etc. I can almost see concepts "click" in their minds. :)

I looked through the Growing with Grammar sample pages and it does look similar to EG.

Kelli

Bumping.

I would like to hear more too. In looking at the samples of each I was concerned that GWG made it a little too easy, in the early levels. For example the linking verbs in the 3rd grade book had the linking verb and predicate of the sentence in bold, so the child then had a 50/50 chance of getting right even if they didn't understand verb/linking verbs at all.

It would be nice if both explained their general methodology and the sequence they introduce topics in. I really couldn't find anything on either site.

Heather

Bumping.

I would like to hear more too. In looking at the samples of each I was concerned that GWG made it a little too easy, in the early levels. For example the linking verbs in the 3rd grade book had the linking verb and predicate of the sentence in bold, so the child then had a 50/50 chance of getting right even if they didn't understand verb/linking verbs at all.

This is why we quit using it. It was just so easy that there was very little thought involved, and with no thought, nothing stuck. The correct answers were practically given to the child. This was for grades 1/2, I haven't seen the higher grades. I also haven't seen any of Easy Grammar to compare.

Ellie! I can't believe you'd tout ANY product that teaches PROPOSITIONAL phrases!!! I'm shocked and amazed!!!!

Just 'cuz you're new here doesn't mean you can mock me, you wicked girl!!!

[Note: Angie in VA and I are good friends and have actually met IRL, so we can say that stuff to each other. That is all. :D]

This is why we quit using it. It was just so easy that there was very little thought involved, and with no thought, nothing stuck. The correct answers were practically given to the child. This was for grades 1/2, I haven't seen the higher grades. I also haven't seen any of Easy Grammar to compare.

Oh, see, first, I wouldn't have used EG for such young dc, although IMHO, it's very much age appropriate. How much grammar do children that young need, anyway? Second, with almost *any* product you have to use it for longer than a year for things to really stick.

I used the red EG when it first came out and there were only 2 levels: red and purple, red being the upper level. Dd was 11. EG was the only grammar product we used, and we never needed to use another one. I was very satisfied with the results.