Menu

besides soup, what can I do with these??

I don't even know what orzo is....

no other thoughts for me????

Orzo is small, rice-shaped pasta (though larger than rice).

My thought process was that the alphabets are small, and they're sort of slippery when cooked, which is pretty much the way of orzo, too.

Recipes for other pastas wouldn't work as interchangeably as orzo recipes because the cooked pasta behaves differently. Eg salads calling for penne would end up with the chunks of veggies any whatnot riding on top. Likewise, couscous is much drier so takes additions differently.

I wouldn't use them for mac and cheese because mac and cheese normally has thicker noodles with "insides" (elbows, penne, shells) to hold the cheese and, because they're thicker, take up some of the liquid in the cheese sauce. Little skinny alphabets would turn to mush.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Orzo is small, rice-shaped pasta (though larger than rice).

My thought process was that the alphabets are small, and they're sort of slippery when cooked, which is pretty much the way of orzo, too.

Recipes for other pastas wouldn't work as interchangeably as orzo recipes because the cooked pasta behaves differently. Eg salads calling for penne would end up with the chunks of veggies any whatnot riding on top. Likewise, couscous is much drier so takes additions differently.

I wouldn't use them for mac and cheese because mac and cheese normally has thicker noodles with "insides" (elbows, penne, shells) to hold the cheese and, because they're thicker, take up some of the liquid in the cheese sauce. Little skinny alphabets would turn to mush.

this is exactly the case...that is why I can't figure out much to do with them. thanks.

Add to a cold rice salad.

Add to hot pilaf

Add a little to a filling of quiche

Make a frittata with it

Use it like vermicilli in that rice-pudding style Indian dessert.

(I looked over several recipes. This looks good

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10062

Keep in mind when making kheer (the base for this pudding) use whole milk, and "boil" means to BARELY simmer and stir almost the whole time. I used to read a book in a chair while I stirred. The result is fabulous.)

Add to a three bean salad

Stir while very hot into a generous amount of crumbled Cheshire cheese and put a scoop on the plate as a side dish.

Edited by kalanamak

You could always do mac-n-cheese with those mixed with other noodles just for variety, or any noodle dish i guess. i have a vague memory of mixing something like that with butter and chicken bullion? and just serving it like that to eat w a spoon? but i'm not sure

You could give children tweezers, glue, and an index card and have them compose a message; think of the visual and small motor work!

You could pour them into an empty plastic water bottle, add a few odds and ends, and make an Eye Spy game.

You could pour them into a bowl and add a few other grains and legumes and have kids race with tweezers to fish out the thing that don't belong--or make a spinner to see what they have to find.

You could ...