Menu

Help with 5 year old!

kwg

We started school 2 weeks ago and I am coming to the conclusion that I am woefully unprepared with my 5 year old. He is bored and has lost his playmate. So I need an arsenal of activities. Preferably easy :tongue_smilie:

play sand

Play dough

I was thinking with both these I could even write words for him to make.

What else do you do that has been successful? :bigear:

TIA

I know the feeling. My 5 year old can be a challenge at times and right now its so hot we don't get to go outside that much. Last year was our first year and we didn't do alot of school so that was more challenging. This year we are doing more school which is helping. Somethings that have helped keep him busy.

Kumon books are awesome! Love their cutting and craft books.

We have a stack of sticker books too which are great. My favorite is the RIchard Scarry one.

Snap Circuit set is amazing and he has spent alot of time with it

Legos are awesome at this age too.

Sand box! Both boys play in this a lot.

craft supplies my son loves to make things

puzzles - love the ravensburger ones. I even ordered a bunch of new ones direct from German Amazon cause they were so much nicer. We used to have a little girl who was 10 come play with him. It was her first job. I paid her a little bit and it was amazing. She taught him how to do puzzles.

Once they are reading it gets easier too. My son will spend hours reading. He also plays with his younger brother some although sometimes it just looks like he tortures him.

Also going to order some of the how to draw books and try that too.

Things my 4 yr. old does when I'm working 1:1 with the 6 yr. old:

STARFALL (this has been our saving grace, she can do it quite independently, but I can watch her from our workspace to make sure she's okay -- and totally worth the annual extra subscription b/c it has a "talking library" where they can listen to books)

Geoboards + rubberbands

playdough + laminated playdough "task" mats (found on a blog, printed)

Peg stackers

Wikisticks

magnet play

button box

pattern blocks

legos

small toys in the rice box (funnel + cups + My Little Pony = fun!)

we have lots of logic games (Camelot Jr., Castle logix, etc)

Magnetic Match Rings

dot paints

Super Sorting Pie

She works/plays independently while I do focused time with the oldest, then she knows she gets my undivided attn to do her workbooks (R&S C and I - math) when sis' goes to do her ClicknRead lesson on the computer. :) So far, it's working well for us....

Edited by alisoncooks

Don't underestimate the power of hotwheel cars, a few little monster trucks, a pile of small rocks and some blocks. My five year old will build monster truck courses for an hour or more after seeing a few youtube videos lol.

Other things:

Books on CD

Lincoln logs

Extensive wooden train set

Wooden block sets

traffic jam

busy bugs and pattern cards

felts and a stack of paper

Outside!