Menu

Help me with Netflix

daijobu

Is there a way to search for topics in only the documentaries?

For example, if I want to find a video that explains chemical bonds, I must wade through all the search results that include James Bond and other unrelated adult movie titles. (There are also a lot of movies with 'chemical' in the title that have nothing to do with chemistry!)

Is there a way to restrict my search?

Hmmm, I'm not sure about narrowing search results by keyword, but you can browse just documentaries, and further sort them by category (such as science and nature).

To to this, Look for the red bar across the top and click the triangle next to the word DVDs. This will open a menu where you can click on documentaries, then when that page opens, you can narrow it down by type.

Hope that helps :001_smile:

I don't think this can be done.

I have the Netflix app on my kindle. On this, you can browse through documentaries but still not specific topics.

You can do this (browse documentaries) on a web browser on a computer too. But still no advanced search. It's annoying!

There is this site -- http://www.instantwatchdb.com/ -- that allows you to do an advanced search on netflix instant play options. Unfortunately, when I searched for chemistry documentaries, none were listed. I'm sure they would have something in the discs, though, if only you can find it.

Do you know about this site? http://www.neok12.com/ They have tons of educational videos for students. Here's a whole set on chemical reactions: http://www.neok12.com/Chemical-Reactions.htm

i dont find netflix has good documentaries on much other than history and nature? We used Discovery Education for a while, since you can search by topic and grade level, but once we got to things like chemical bonds, honestly, we had the best luck on youtube. You could also check khan academy, but of course those are straight lecture w blackboard

Thank you for the suggestions! I had never checked out the "Special Interests" section before, but it's contents were sparse. I had never been to the neok12 site before, but I have seen their videos on youtube. I agree youtube has been our best source for educational videos, but I was hoping we could watching something on tv while snuggled on the sofa.

I understand - we STILL have an old PC that dh promised he would hook up to the TV so we could watch videos on it . .. 2 years ago :confused: We can do some through the Wii, as I said, through its browser, but not if its flash based, and not very good quality.

Still, library is worth a look!

I just posted on another thread about Netflix that the one thing I don't like is their poor search function.

My solution is to go on Amazon and search there. Once you have found a few DVDs, plug those titles into Netflix. Although it involves an extra step, it is far quicker and more effective.

Great documentaries can be found at topdocumentaryfilms.com. There are several to do with chemistry that we plan to watch later in the year. Sometimes a doc has been taken off and if that is the case I check You Tube directly, or documentarystorm.com or documentaryheaven.com.

I just posted on another thread about Netflix that the one thing I don't like is their poor search function.

My solution is to go on Amazon and search there.

That's a great idea. I actually use this technique to find books at my library, since their search is also pretty bad. I hadn't thought to use it with Netflix.

Great documentaries can be found at topdocumentaryfilms.com. There are several to do with chemistry that we plan to watch later in the year. Sometimes a doc has been taken off and if that is the case I check You Tube directly, or documentarystorm.com or documentaryheaven.com.

Thanks for this!