Menu

Has anyone used Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade? Did you like it?

HappyGrace

We have it. I like it. I'm impressed with the content and style. I like the layout.

However, my oldest is only in 2nd, and we tried it last year. With a 6yo, 4yo, 2yo it was simple enough for them about a month before I had to back off and go with something much less complex. I'm planning to give it a go again in a year or two.

We have used it for two school years now. We usually do one weeks of reading over two weeks, so we are still in the 40s for questions. My kids and I have all learned a lot and the kids have retained a lot of the questions (they are 11 and 8 now -- I haven't used with my 6 and 5 year olds yet.) I like the way that she writes and have found it to be accessible to the kids (it is not childish) while still being theologically sound and accurate.

One note -- it uses the Westminster Catechism. I have seen several complaints on these boards and others that don't like the content and theological bent of the book. If you don't like Reformed theology, this is probably not the book for you. If you are Reformed Baptist, know that there is a question with an answer supporting child baptism. Those issues are functions of the Catechism, and not the book itself.

Blessings,

Emily

It's ok. There was so much debtor's ethic! We are Reformed believers, but we believe that we are to believe and obey God for the joy set before us, looking forward to Future Grace.

THTM kept on bringing up obedience to God out of thankfulness to Him which I believe is less Biblical, and less helpful.

Hope this helps. If you want to study the catechism, CLP sells the First Catechism booklet (that THTM is based on) and you could just talk about it. You'd be surprised how easy conversation comes up, baed on the catechism questions.

Love it..we do it as an after dinner family devotional. We memorize the catechism in the original language using the CDs tha Veritas Press sells. My dd is 9 and we started it when she was 7. we are reformed, so theology is consistent for us. I agree that those who don't like the West. Catech. Will not like this book.

Edited by monalisa

Did your family enjoy it and did you all learn a lot?

I have it here, just wondered if others have liked it, if it's worth doing, etc.

When we were Reformed, yes, I liked it. When I passed it on, I left it with my former pastor for their church library.

DH didn't like it as much, but only because he likes to go long and heavy into whatever he has been reading with the kids (usually the Bible, a theology book, or the writings of one of the ECF's)