Menu

When you are under a boil water advisory

I've just boiled water for eating, drinking, and brushing teeth. I've showered (maybe not quite as frequently) and definitely made sure not to get water in my mouth. I didn't do anything special about flushing my pipes afterwards. It never occurred to me.

What about kid's getting showers/bathing?

We are currently renting a condo in Florida. Last week, during the tropical storm, we were sent an email telling us what to do in case of a boil water warning. Here is what it says:

1. Do not use water from taps. Use only bottled water and or boiled water from an approved source. Boil water at a rolling boil for five minutes.

2. Do not use ice from ice machines or ice making refrigerators. Ice now in the machines should be discarded and machines not restarted until after supply is approved. Sanitize interior of Ice machine with two t bleach in one gallon of water. Sanitize ice trays in fridge withsame strength bleach solution.

3. Do not cook with or use tap water in food or salad preparation,

4. Do not use tap water for hand washing. Use bottled and or boiled water for these purposes. Follow hand washing. Y using a sanitizing solution on the hands. This may be accomplished by using a commercial sanitizing lotion requiring no rinse or a chlorine bleach solution of two t bleach in one gallon water.

There is more, but those address your questions. Also, is says after the ban is lifted, allow the tap to run for three minutes at each tap to flush the lines with safe water.

Yes, we were told to let our water run for about 5 mins from ea tap after the advisory was lifted.

I was told for the kids old enough to know not to put things in their mouths, showering is fine, but for Boo, only use boiled water for anything that might end up in his mouth...that incl his bathwater, and also boiling facecloths for him to chew on (teething)

I asked this because we are on our way to LA later today (can't change flights again) and my parents are under a boil water advisory. She just forwarded me an e-mail that says that it has to be tested to lift the advisory and because so many companies need their water tested, it may be well into next week before the ban is lifted! :thumbdown:

This is going to be quite an adventure.