Menu

I'm afraid of my saurkraut!

I had the same problem. With the help of Jean in Newcastle, I found out that cabbage is too acidic for botulism to grow. You can research the ph and test if you want, too. And, botulism is anaerobic, so it shouldn't grow unless there's no contact with air. That's my lay interpretation.

I did not eat mine, but dh did and LOVED it. He is still alive after the whole jar. :D

My second attempt this summer. This batch, however, looks and smells good. I took a bite and am not sure how long to wait for the botulism to kick in before letting my kids try some. :tongue_smilie:

I'll take it off your hands if you decide it's too scary. YUM!!!!!

I had the same problem. With the help of Jean in Newcastle, I found out that cabbage is too acidic for botulism to grow. You can research the ph and test if you want, too. And, botulism is anaerobic, so it shouldn't grow unless there's no contact with air. That's my lay interpretation.

I did not eat mine, but dh did and LOVED it. He is still alive after the whole jar. :D

Whew. That makes me feel better! (Plus, the kids and I are still alive.)

I'm scared of all sauerkraut. I had a babysitter, when I was elementary school age, that fed us sauerkraut. You couldn't leave the table until you ate it all. I can remember gagging it down. Never again.

Right, was it the gross stuff from the store? I still have nightmares about it. Gross, gross, gross. But I like the homemade stuff and Bubbies from Whole Foods; plus it's really, really good for you as long as it hasn't been heated.

But the question is, are you making the right kind of Sauerkraut?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=377484

Ha - that was funny! I don't remember how I was served it as a child, only that it was unbearable. Currently it is served as a little side dish on the lunch plate, or rolled up in a piece of ham with cream cheese.

Isn't sauerkraut way too acidic for botulism?

Apparently. That's my new policy ;).

Edited by Susan in TN