Menu

Singapore users: help me get it!

hsingscrapper

I've looked it over in stores and at booths at our local hsing expo. Am I missing something as I don't get it.

I want to get it but I just don't understand. Is it very teacher-intensive and I just wasn't looking at all of the pieces to the puzzle?

I can't stand not understanding something that should be so very simple.

What were you looking at?

We're currently using it and I LOVE it (mainly because DD loves it and that's what matters. Well, that and she's learning :).) I guess it's teacher intensive but not any more than any other math program, if you are taking the time to actually teach the content and play reinforcing games/etc...

We use:

the Home Instructors Guide (HIG) -- has a weekly schedule and activities/games to teach & reinforce each lesson

the textbook -- for guided practice (we discuss, demonstrate with manipulatives) and talk about the silly pictures (you could skip this part, I guess, but DD gets a kick out of them...)

the workbook -- for (fairly) independent practice

I also bought the Math Sprints book for weekly (or so) speed drills... and CWP for after we finish 1A/1B.

Home Instructor Guide? I think it was 4a/b and both text and workbook.

Are you saying that you've not heard of the Home Instructor's Guide? Without the HIG, there really isn't anything special about Singapore. Just looking at the texts and workbooks without the HIG would be confusing! See if you can check out the HIG. It makes the program what it is. :)