Menu

Need a sugar cookie recipe

Once when I was a kid a friend's grandmother stayed with us for a few days when my parents were away. She was wonderful! Every day we came home from school and there was something yummy waiting for us. I have always remembered the delicious sugar cookies she made, but was never able to track down her specific recipe. Then one day a church member brought cookies for our fellowship time and they reminded me of the ones I loved that one time as a child. Perhaps it's the same recipe. This recipe originally came from C&H. I think it's the lemon juice that makes the difference. I roll these into balls before baking, and if I want them to look more festive I roll them in sanding sugar. I don't think they are particularly plump, but they are moist and taste wonderful.

C&H Sugar Cookies

½ cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 tbsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. baking soda

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and gradually beat into mixture. Chill for 2 hours. Bake at 375° on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a rack.

Thank you! I normally double my batch of cookies so for an experiment I will have to do one batch of each with my daughter tomorrow and see which one I prefer. I have heard many people make cookies with lemon or nutmeg and have never tried either. I can't wait to taste the difference from what I am used to making. Oh help me if I like both!! Then I won't be able to give any cookies away.:)

These are the only sugar cookies I will make because they are so melt-in-your-mouth good. They are drop cookies and so easy to make. This recipe makes a lot, and they are addictive, so plan to give some away.

Sugar Cookies

Course: Desserts

Ingredients

• 1 stick butter softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Cream butter, sugar and eggs together.

3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

4. Chill for 1-2 hours.

5. Form into 1†balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly flatten balls with the bottom of a drinking glass.

6. Bake for 10 minutes.