Menu

What is the best vacuum cleaner under $200? Under $300?

My vacuum cleaner has seen better days and I need to replace it. I prefer an upright. (Do they even make canister vacs these days??) I'd love to have a bagless model, but I hear that the ones with a dust cup (or whatever you call it) tend to be messy when you have to dump the dust cup and also that they don't have good filtration. Good filtration is a must because ER has allergies. My current vacuum cleaner has a HEPA filter, but I don't think it works as well as it should. I'd like a HEPA filtration system, but I want it to work the way it's supposed to. But that might add to the expense.

I would love to spend under $200 if possible, but DEFINITELY under $300. What do you recommend?

ETA: We have a combination of carpet, tile, and wood laminate floors in our home.

Edited by ereks mom

Well, Kenmore used to make an upright that scored pretty well according to consumer reports. I can't remember what it was called. I had one and it lasted a long time and did an amazing job even with pet hair from 2 dogs and a cat.

I had a Hoover Windtunnel once years ago and I hated it. I wouldn't buy one again unless something major has changed and I'd have to test it first. It wouldn't matter to me what any article or recommendation says--it was that bad!

ETA: I found a link with suggestions. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-picks-consumer-reports-puts-vacuum-cleaners-test/story?id=12985601#.UDw-KkKXIzU

My vac was a Kenmore progressive, and it was an upright. Looks like the top choice now is the Kenmore Intuition. HTH

Edited by shanvan

We have an older Kenmore upright with bag and HEPA filter -- 116.35922. It works very well and has an intelligence sensor that detect dirt. My complaint is that it doesn't get right up against the edge. But, it cleans VERY well. We have had it for years!

http://www.amazon.com/Kenmore-Progressive-Upright-Vacuum-Inteli-Clean/dp/B0019R4WYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1346125583&sr=1-1&keywords=kenmore+11635922+vacuum+cleaner

It's funny that it got so many bad reviews.

What did you buy?

A Dyson and I love it but it is over $300

I mean the Electrolux was great, I just have a thing with canister vacs

ETA: I will say though, that the vacuum survived an entire trip down the stairs. Which has a little to do with my "thing" with canister vacs :blushing:

This is the only vacuum that I will buy. We've had them last quite a few years, buy them for our church as well, but I'm on my second one over the course of about 12 years maybe? http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Smart-Vac-Upright-Cleaner-4870MZ/dp/B0015ASJIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346190612&sr=8-1&keywords=eureka+boss

This is the one I have now--the one that's dying. It has done a good job, and I've had it several years, but it's hard to find bags (type RR) for it in our small town. We bought the vac at Walmart, and for awhile, they carried the bags, but then they stopped, and now, the only place we can find them locally is at a vacuum cleaner repair shop, and they are expensive there.

• 4 weeks later...
This is the one I have now--the one that's dying. It has done a good job, and I've had it several years, but it's hard to find bags (type RR) for it in our small town. We bought the vac at Walmart, and for awhile, they carried the bags, but then they stopped, and now, the only place we can find them locally is at a vacuum cleaner repair shop, and they are expensive there.

WalMart has the vacuum if you order online and have it delivered to the store. Mine just died, I got the bags and belts at Lowe's.

I chose to splurge and spend way more than $300, I literally couldn't use the Eureka, it is very heavy. My vacuumer is in college, and I have to be able to vacuum.

I love the Electrolux canister we bought last year. It was refurbished but works great and was right around $200 from an amazon third party vendor. It gets used daily here on floors and carpet. It is so lightweight compared to our Kenmore upright - I hate to use the Kenmore now but I keep it upstairs for the kids to use in their rooms.

We kept having to replace our vacuum every 1.5 years so we bought a dyson. It is now 2 years old and still works like a champ. It gets a heavy workout around here. It cost more than 300 but it has a 5 year warranty. I am guartanteed a working vac for 5 years for less than I was spending in 5 years with the cheaper ones. Just my 2 cents.