Menu

Has anyone gotten any testing back since using MM?

HappyGrace

Sorry, we took our test in the middle of the year before we jumped into MM. He took the CAT and what we went through later in mm def. covered more than was on the test:)He scored above average on everything and I did not teach to the test or even look at it before giving it to him:)

We used MM3 for 3rd grade.

Starting in February, we also used Study Island for test prep, which was very helpful to point out any gaps-- mostly I found that my son didn't remember all the geometry and measurement stuff, since that was early in the year. Study Island also showed that he didn't know how to do long division or multi-digit multiplication, so I took those topics from MM4 and taught them, too. (California's standards are pretty advanced, which is why we had to do that. I don't think that most states are quite as rigorous with their math standards. Things will change in a few years, though, when the Common Core standards are fully implemented.)

As far as testing goes, he did exceptioanally well. Scored "advanced" and only missed one problem, I think. He likes math well enough, but I wouldn't say that he is an exceptionally mathy kid.

I think MM is a very solid program, but if you are worried about test scores, I would plan on building in some additional review before test time.

Sorry, we took our test in the middle of the year before we jumped into MM. He took the CAT and what we went through later in mm def. covered more than was on the test:)He scored above average on everything and I did not teach to the test or even look at it before giving it to him:)

This was a 2nd grade test. OP thanks for the heads up on long division being on the test lol funny they jump from a simple test(adding 2-3 digit numbers)all the way to long division.

We used MM for about 6 months (maybe longer? I forget) before the standardized testing we did a calendar year ago. That was the year we had our biggest gap ever between computation and conceptual. (computation being way behind conceptual) I think she spent so much energy trying to understand that she wasn't moving forward. Switched to TT for this past year, and those scores came up even, for the first time ever, both 99%.

It's never really the curriculum. It's how your kid intersects with the curriculum. I actually think MM is really good, if it does good things for your child.

I've been reading with interest. MM is a great fit for my ds, but I do the drilling and practice via computer games and others Maria provides as well. This is what makes it a complete curriculum. I love being able to click right on the links.