Menu

Are there any secular history texts?

AsgardCA

I was pretty set on Usbornes Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History, until I read a review that said it paints Christianity as fact (and shows other religions as merely beliefs). I looked at SOTW and I'm not sure about that one either. I can't tell from the sample I saw.

I know religion played a big part in history, and I fully expect to teach that to my kids... But I'd rather a spine that shows all sides, I guess. At least not favouring one over the others. Maybe something that MAY be slightly bias, but can be easily avoided?

We recently got a used book called My First History of Canada (by Donalda Dickie) that tells Canadian history in story format. I LOVE this, my kids actually listen to it. I wasn't sure there existed other such books, so I'm not set on encyclopedia-style vs story.

We started using SOTW, and felt that it was fine because it told everything as a story in history and not with the idea that you have to believe in certain doctrine behind it. We use DK's History of the World book and I'm fine with it. We are one of the three main abrahamic religions, so I may be coming from a different perspective than you, but I still don't want the Christian centered history in our curriculum.

I do think that coming across someone else's perspective of things helps us in critical thinking... understanding the other side of the argument, but that may be beyond what you're looking to do with your kids within your History curriculum at this time. :)

We use SOTW, and discuss as appropriate. It's not perfect, and I've actually skipped a chapter here or there, but overall it's worked. We do the same with our UIELWH (did I get that right? The Usborne World History!), and DK Kingfisher.

It's worked out thus far, but we are only in SOTW2.

I'll be interested to see what else you find.

We are fairly committed secular homeschoolers (except for using R&S grammar) and I am also fairly comfortable 'secularizing' text.

SOTW is pretty darn secular. In is written from a Christian worldview, but it isn't proselytizing in nature at all. The only thing I have ever had to address is maybe 5 or 6 words in the entire series. All I can remember is in SOTW1. In that book, the myths of Egyptians and Greeks etc are presented as myths. It will say something like "XXX believed his god told him to go a certain place or do a thing" In one chapter about ancient Israel there is a statement that 'God told Moses'. That was the only thing I have really found. One culture believes their god did something, but Moses' god did tell him to do something. It is a pretty subtle difference, and not difficult to fix on the fly.

SOTW does tell history as a story, and a great one at that. I think if you are looking for an engaging, story like history program for the elementary years you really can't go wrong with SOTW.

Religion does play a part in the history because it is part of history. It is sort of difficult to teach about the crusades and leave out Christians and Muslims. It also addresses other religions and the part they played in the histories of their respective countries. Is it exhaustive? No. It is for young children and it hits the major notes. I am not Christian or Buddist or Muslim and if I were, I suspect I would have a LOT more to say on how those subjects are presented. But, I think that is how it should be.

We love SOTW here, and we are secular homeschoolers, but I'm also interested in the thread that discussed the above book. Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

We are fairly committed secular homeschoolers (except for using R&S grammar) and I am also fairly comfortable 'secularizing' text.

SOTW is pretty darn secular. In is written from a Christian worldview, but it isn't proselytizing in nature at all. The only thing I have ever had to address is maybe 5 or 6 words in the entire series. All I can remember is in SOTW1. In that book, the myths of Egyptians and Greeks etc are presented as myths. It will say something like "XXX believed his god told him to go a certain place or do a thing" In one chapter about ancient Israel there is a statement that 'God told Moses'. That was the only thing I have really found. One culture believes their god did something, but Moses' god did tell him to do something. It is a pretty subtle difference, and not difficult to fix on the fly.

SOTW does tell history as a story, and a great one at that. I think if you are looking for an engaging, story like history program for the elementary years you really can't go wrong with SOTW.

Religion does play a part in the history because it is part of history. It is sort of difficult to teach about the crusades and leave out Christians and Muslims. It also addresses other religions and the part they played in the histories of their respective countries. Is it exhaustive? No. It is for young children and it hits the major notes. I am not Christian or Buddist or Muslim and if I were, I suspect I would have a LOT more to say on how those subjects are presented. But, I think that is how it should be.

We are pretty much the same. SOTW is easy to use secularly. I just added the odd "believed" to scentences.

Here's the thing. Some people don't believe that Jesus was a real, historical person. Some people don't believe that the Bible should be used as a source for history ever, even in context of other sources. If you are one of those people, then the Usborne Encyclopedia, the Kingfisher (both are completely secular publishers), any vintage text and SOTW are all going to bother you.

If you are not quite that extreme, then there may a few phrases that annoy you in SOTW or even the Usborne Encyclopedia that make you go, gee, I think I'll rephrase that as I read aloud or give a few words about our own family's take on this issue. But it will be minor issues in a very few places.