Menu

Indiana specific question

I know we live in an easy state to homeschool in. I have been reading the stuff on the Dept. of Ed. Site just to know my stuff. If you have not withdrawn your child from ps and are homeschooling from the start, do you need to register online? Or is it only for those who withdrawal from ps?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I ran across this thread because it made me take another look at the HLSDA's site. I see that IN has lowered the compulsory age to 6, which I was not aware of, does that mean I need to report to the DOE?

What is the minimum amount of information they need? I see the DOE's form requests your name, address, and the age(s) of your child(ren).

Ooh, I didn't know the age was now 6 either. Thanks for pointing that out! Reporting or not is a hot button issue for some. There is an Indiana specific Yahoo Group that might be able to offer more advice on the reporting issue specifically. Also the website IHEN.org cover Indiana homeschooling issues.

I'm glad I ran across this thread because it made me take another look at the HLSDA's site. I see that IN has lowered the compulsory age to 6, which I was not aware of, does that mean I need to report to the DOE?

What is the minimum amount of information they need? I see the DOE's form requests your name, address, and the age(s) of your child(ren).

Beginning in fall of school year in which child turns 7 (or when

child enrolls in a school, if earlier, or on 7th birthday if parent

certifies they intend to enroll child in nonaccredited private school)

until child turns 18, or graduates. West's Annotated Indiana Code §

20-33-2-6.

Required Days of Instruction: “for the number of days public schools are in session in the school

corporation in which the child is enrolled in Indiana.†West’s

Annotated Code § 20-33-2-5 and § 20-30-2-3. Generally, 180 days.

Required Subjects: “A school that is nonpublic, non-accredited, and not otherwise

approved by the Indiana State Board of Education is not bound by

any requirements set forth in IC 20 or IC 21 with regard to

curriculum or the content of educational programs offered by the

school.†(§ 20-33-2-12 (a))

There should be a form of some sort for you to use as a general notification. You put your name, childs name, address, childs birthdate and thats IT. Since IN doesnt require a generalized list of intended curriculum, thats all you send.

We never registered our dd in all her years of homeschooling. I have never seen anything that stated that the law required it. I never had any problems with this. I noted on the HSLDA site that some people have had trouble getting driver's licenses. We had no trouble at all. Our dd also attended Ivy Tech briefly and had no trouble registering.

If we had very difficult neighbors or antagonistic family members, who might have been inclined to report false claims, then I might have considered registering. I wasn't about to register, if there was no need. I was always prepared to give an answer for days in school or the amount of work I required, if it had ever come up, but in 13 years no one ever questioned us.

This year our son is in school and we were required to sign many papers. Some of them I questioned and researched and found that they were not required, so I simply noted that I did not give consent to access of certain information. No big deal. The paperwork sounded like it was required, but it really wasn't by law. I think that is the same way with registering. If I were in charge of the schools, I would want to know how many people were choosing something else. I don't blame them for wanting the information. I just don't see that the law requires it.

According to HSLDA, you do NOT need to notify the DOE:

A private school administrator shall furnish, on request of the state superintendent of public instruction, the number of children by grade level attending the school. § 20-33-2-21(b). This request must be to the individual private school, not merely a blanket announcement to the public at large. Indiana Public School officials frequently request that parents seeking to homeschool their children complete an online "enrollment" form on the Indiana Department of Education website. This enrollment is not required under state law and entirely voluntary. Contact HSLDA for more information.