Menu

Dyslexia - my son is blossoming!

I hope this helps someone on a bad day.

My 13 year old son is blossoming!

A year ago he couldn't remember his multiplication tables, could barely read a Bob book, couldn't follow more than one direction at a time, didn't know his phone number. He couldn't (and still can't) hear phonics - he memorizes words (this used to worry me).

I was losing my faith and mind but maturity is wonderful.

Today he is reading chapter books (currently "The King of Mulberry Street"), doing AOPS Algebra by himself and doing it right, knows his phone number :), loves learning how to cook and is taking care of all the animals. He is writing really dense and beautiful prose and essays. He wants to "read all the good books" and watch films about their authors. He would like to have an intense study of the Periodic Table of the Elements. And more comes up every day....

Now, I don't have the magic bullet, but I will say we were very hands-off and gentle with this kid. I would try some phonics, he would balk, and I would back off. So he got some instruction over the years in math, phonics, and science. Mostly he got read to, listened to audio books, joined in conversations, went to museums, followed his interests with gusto and support from us.

He loves animals, wants to be a vet, has worked for a vet at his farm for over a year.

I guess I just wanted to share because I'm breathing again. I want others to know that relief might be just around the corner. A year or even six months can make a big difference (especially in the early teen years). And that you can homeschool in a way that suits your child's needs and interests.

He is strong and confident and happy. He is learning (and at a rapid pace!).

YAY!

Congratulations to you both!:party::party:

Many dyslexic/VSL/spectrum/plain old right-brained kids seem to have this spectacular developmental surge right around age thirteen or fourteen. It's the most jaw-dropping thing to witness in your own child, isn't it?

Much praise to you for backing off and giving him time. That is the single most difficult thing to do as a homeschooling parent, particularly when the child is creeping up on high school age and your panic button is sounding off daily.

Just a funny note -- my dd could NOT memorize phone numbers either! We finally set ours to a musical tune, and that did the trick; but that tune was "taken up" by one number so we couldn't use it for our cell phones, and other tunes didn't seem to work as well. She was fifteen before she memorized her dad's cell number, and she still doesn't know mine! Thank goodness for programmable phones.

Oh Doodler I have been stalking your posts! :;):

It is the reason why I decided to post today. I don't think there is enough discussion on readiness, waiting, interest led options for kids with special needs. Not that it will work for everyone but I think a discussion needs to be had that it might work for some.

And that we can support each other in trying it out. :)

Thanks for the congrats and please keep posting!

Awesome! :hurray:

Thank you so much for this post too, because I was telling dh how discouraged I was lately that all ds does is build things, mess around with stuff, and listen to audiobooks while struggling to do anything remotely academic, including remembering 5+2.

It is nice to hear there is hope!

:grouphug:

Awww.... thank you all!

I am so relieved we are at this point. Anyone who is watching their kid struggle my heart goes out to you. I've been there!

Really I was sooooo close to calling in "troops" (like tutors and such) and slamming him with phonics lessons. But I'm glad I trusted my gut and really put my time and energy on his strengths. It would have killed this lovely young man's confidence and pride. But I understand why some go that path. I once heard being a therapist (I am) described as a way to feel like a failure every hour of the day (because you can never really quantify changes happening). I would include parenting in that analogy!

Ok, others struggling, hang on!

My son could not read a Bob book a year ago! He could not do simple math! He could not remember the difference between the division and multiplication symbol! He could not give correct pronunciation of all the vowels!

And now......hooozah!

:grouphug: