Menu

S/o overexcitabilities and giftedness

Halcyon

I am going to read the books that were recommended to me in the other thread. But as i learn more about Emotional and intellectual OE, it really does sound like my child. Would love more resources on how to handle this.

:bigear:

Edited by Halcyon

I would love more info too! I have been researching the topic today since my son has been getting moved to tears by some classical music. After my daughter started singing the Barney song and he cried for 10 minutes because it was "so sad", I decided to add this to the list of things that I will be taking to his assessment in a few weeks. Of course this is just one of many issues, but the one that has me :001_huh:

Brenda

ETA - Love your blog btw!

Edited by brendag

The best way I've found (so far) to handle this is acceptance that these differences are a part of who my child is and I can't change that, but I can help channel those differences in ways that are socially acceptable and beneficial for the way my child views life.

I'd recommend Living with Intensity and A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children. For online resources I highly recommend http://www.sengifted.org

SENG also has a Facebook page on which they often post helpful links. Halcyon, I'm sure you have probably already read this, but I wanted to link to Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration in case someone else learning about OE has not. I think it should be required reading for gifted teens. I know it would have helped me understand myself better when I was younger.

ETA: Google Books link to Dabrowski's TPD

Edited by Element

I would love more info too! I have been researching the topic today since my son has been getting moved to tears by some classical music. After my daughter started singing the Barney song and he cried for 10 minutes because it was "so sad", I decided to add this to the list of things that I will be taking to his assessment in a few weeks. Of course this is just one of many issues, but the one that has me :001_huh:

Brenda

ETA - Love your blog btw!

Thanks a lot. Today was another hard day. Ds told me this evening how "unsafe" he often feels, and that he wishes he were like everyone else, and that he doesnt want to go anywhere because "that terrible shooting in Colorado could happen here" and how hugging people makes him feel safe...and on and on for an hour or more, tears running down his face. My heart is breaking for him.

SENG also has a Facebook page on which they often post helpful links. Halcyon, I'm sure you have probably already read this, but I wanted to link to Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration in case someone else learning about OE has not. I think it should be required reading for gifted teens. I know it would have helped me understand myself better when I was younger.

ETA: Google Books link to Dabrowski's TPD

Thank you. I have read _about_ tpd but havent read Dabrowski directly.

Thanks a lot. Today was another hard day. Ds told me this evening how "unsafe" he often feels, and that he wishes he were like everyone else, and that he doesnt want to go anywhere because "that terrible shooting in Colorado could happen here" and how hugging people makes him feel safe...and on and on for an hour or more, tears running down his face. My heart is breaking for him.

Wow! I am completely blown away right now. This is my 10 yr old son. He is a bright. funny boy; yet, he can spend hours crying over something he saw in the news.

In public school he was in the 99% and no one knew how to help me. He functions appropriately in public. So, no one saw that side of him (we are homeschooling now and he is improving). I never imagined it was related to being gifted.

I have felt so alone, crying over my failure as a parent and unsure how to help him. THANK YOU for sharing this post!

I am so glad is post touched you. I definitely think ou should read some of the suggested books. I a, reading Emotional Intensity in Gifted Children right now by Fonseca and am picking up Living with Intensity at the library today. Already i am getting a better nderstanding. Your son definitely sounds like he fits Dabrowski's emotional OE. There are four others as well, so you might find he fits more than one.

My son, too, is "normal" in public fornthe most part.

NB -- The positivedisintegration.com web site has some documents relating to an ongoing debate/disagreement between Bill Tillier (who maintains the site) and Michael Piechowski (author of Living With Intensity). Both are former students of Dabrowski. From what I've been able to gather, it seems as if Tillier's presentation of the theory is more comprehensive and true to the original, and Piechowski's is somewhat "adapted" and focuses mostly on the OEs.

I'm sure it would be best to check everything with the original sources, but Dabrowski's own books are out of print in English. Still, in my explorations so far, I've been finding the material on Tillier's TPD site (and on the e-mail list that's linked there) to be much more useful and deep than the descriptions in Living With Intensity and other popular gifted literature.

ETA: Item #9 on the web site's front page -- "Detailed Overview of the TPD" -- might be a good starting point for those who are interested in a thorough introduction to the theory. It's a 391 page PDF, but in "slide show" style, so there's not really that much text to wade through. And it's free. :)

Edited by Eleanor

Wow! A lot of great info and links here. I'm off to do more research. Anyone else feel like they are spending (or have spent) HUGE amounts of time doing research?! If there was a smilie showing a head about to blow up, I would put that here. hehe

Brenda