Menu

Low Carb People...

How many carbs can you eat a day before you start gaining weight? I'm on the first phase of adkins and am eating only 20 net grams. I hope someday to be able to have at least 50 a day! That would feel like soooo much now!

So it's been a month since I started and I'm down 10.5lbs! I owe my motivation to this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=408157&highlight=fat.

Thanks so much for the motivation!

Meli

It varies for me because some days I go half a day without eating. I lift heavy weights three times a week and I need something after. Tried it without, no good. I do a smoothie with fruit and that still keeps me in check for the day.

I would say 100-150 on average

under 100 when trying to lose. I had 5 pounds slowly creep up because I was eating too much bread for a while, so I'm down to keeping them lower for a while.

I do much better when I cycle my eating. Not the same thing every day. Gym days are higher because I eat more fruit, and a little more.

Well, there are a lot of different plans out there. I like marksdailyapple.com personally. When trying to lose weight I generally try to keep it under 50 (TOTAL NOT NET) carbs and then up to 50-100, when on maintenance about 100-150(max). I'm always either nursing or pregnant as well though. It has worked well for me. I cycle up and down as well. I think that is fairly normal for the long term(it has been several years here).

I'm around 50 net carbs a day. I'm trying to stay there for awhile because I'm trying the endurance athlete low carb plan.

I didn't do the adding back of carbs in the order the new Atkins suggested. It's still working fine for me.

How many carbs can you eat a day before you start gaining weight? I'm on the first phase of adkins and am eating only 20 net grams. I hope someday to be able to have at least 50 a day! That would feel like soooo much now!

So it's been a month since I started and I'm down 10.5lbs! I owe my motivation to this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=408157&highlight=fat.

Thanks so much for the motivation!

Meli

It depends on whether you have a metabolic disorder, insulin resistance, or just need to lose a few pounds.

The closer you are to "obese" and the longer you've been yo-yo dieting, the more likely you've got a metabolic disorder and are IR. For those folks to lose and maintain weight, it is quiet likely that you'll need to restrict carbs to quite low levels for a very long time. But, the only way to figure out what your carb tolerance is is to test it.

To continue losing you may need to stay in the Atkins induction phase for longer than 2 weeks. But, go ahead and test it. Move on to phase two and phase three and see how your body responds. Track your carb intake and at some point you'll figure out how many carbs will maintain your current weight and what it takes to continue to lose.

Also, if you're not already doing it and you feel good, add in some light (not overly rigorous) exercise -- lift some weights, take long walks, swim, play soccer in your yard with your kids.... whatever works for you.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!

Also, after reaching my goal weight, I remain very low carb - around 30-40 grams per day mostly made up of vegetables (love my veggies) and that's total grams not net grams. I don't minus out fiber. I find that's the very best way of naturally supressing my appetite. I just don't feel very hungry when 90% of my calories come from fat and protein (about 70% fat and 30% protein). I don't have cravings and have incredible control over what I choose to eat. I just like that. I'm also keto-adapted. I measure the number of ketones in my blood once or twice per week and fall within the keto-burning range. This just means my body burns fat as my energy source. I just recently added some weight training into my day. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

I'm comfortable around 100 - 120 total carbs and losing weight at a good clip; but the carbs are from things like fruit, unsweetened greek yogurt, and a glass of wine with dinner. I don't have any breads, sugars (no honey or agave or natural jelly either), or starchy veggies of any kind. If I allow breads of any kind (bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, even torillas), it goes down hill. I eat protein, fruit, veggies, and dairy ... and wine. ;)

I'm comfortable around 100 - 120 total carbs and losing weight at a good clip; but the carbs are from things like fruit, unsweetened greek yogurt, and a glass of wine with dinner. I don't have any breads, sugars (no honey or agave or natural jelly either), or starchy veggies of any kind. If I allow breads of any kind (bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, even torillas), it goes down hill. I eat protein, fruit, veggies, and dairy ... and wine. ;)

I think that is the important thing to note as well that it varies by the individual which carbs and when to eat them are best - just as people who are diabetic have different reactions to different food. I do ok with some fruit, but some, like bananas (even just small amounts) set me off. I'm ok with small amounts of honey but not maple syrup. Tubers generally are ok and some beans, if I'm trying to get more carbs in and generally better than any grain. I don't ever do gluten. I've been off and on dairy. I've just went off again, except butter, to see if it is affecting me more than I have been thinking. Some just don't tolerate dairy period. I've also found that different foods have affecting me differently at different times. My needs and tolerance for carbs have went up and down as well.

I think that is the important thing to note as well that it varies by the individual which carbs and when to eat them are best - just as people who are diabetic have different reactions to different food. I do ok with some fruit, but some, like bananas (even just small amounts) set me off. I'm ok with small amounts of honey but not maple syrup. Tubers generally are ok and some beans, if I'm trying to get more carbs in and generally better than any grain. I don't ever do gluten. I've been off and on dairy. I've just went off again, except butter, to see if it is affecting me more than I have been thinking. Some just don't tolerate dairy period. I've also found that different foods have affecting me differently at different times. My needs and tolerance for carbs have went up and down as well.

Most of my fruit are things like apples, berries, some citrus .. no bananas, I should have clarified that. It really is individual and needs to be tweaked. I can't do any honey or maple syrup. Low carb is definitely individual. :lol:

I'm also always pregnant or nursing as well here. I have no clue how my body would be if I weren't. It is a rollercoaster though with the hormones and all the changes. I need more carbs in pregnancy, especially the 1st and 2nd trimester and then less. Then afterwards I'm pretty good with fairly low carb. I stayed around 50 total last time until I lost my weight and then up to around 100 for a good while and slowly transitioned up. I feel better w/ just berries. In pregnancy as well I have to deal with my ever changing cravings. I swear as well that for a good while I'll eat lots of nuts and then none at all. Same with veggies and lots of other foods. It seems my hormones and cravings have just changed again as I'm craving nuts again and tons of green veggies. When I got pregnant last time I didn't hardly want either one, whereas before that I ate tons and tons all day long.

I would just like to point out that one doesn't have to restrict vigorous exercise on a low carb diet. I swim on a Masters competitive team, run miles almost every day, and such. Now, I wouldn't introduce that level of activity the week one starts low carb, :D but if someone's been doing something already, it really isn't horrible switching over. Performance takes a hit for a short while, then everything recovers.