Menu

How do I make this?

Dh wants and ipad case like one of these. There's no way we're paying $80 for it when I could do it for so much less - if I had some instructions! I can figure out parts of it, but I would like to not be guessing on the rest. When I googled it, all I could find was how to make the ones where you cut an ipad shape out of the pages, not this kind where the pages are completely removed. BTW, I'm not on Pinterest, so please don't send me there (this forum and FB are enough addictions for me!)

If it were me I'd look for one where the front and the back page are glued in and the glue binds the rest of the pages together without touching the spine. Make sense? That way, you can just make the two cuts down the front/back pages at the spine, remove the entire interior, and then use pasteboard or posterboard covered with fabric panels to remake the inside.

It's really cute. I might see if I can do one for my Ipad. If the wee'un hadn't broken my Kindle on the way back this weekend I would definitely have done it for that!

If it were me I'd look for one where the front and the back page are glued in and the glue binds the rest of the pages together without touching the spine. Make sense? That way, you can just make the two cuts down the front/back pages at the spine, remove the entire interior, and then use pasteboard or posterboard covered with fabric panels to remake the inside.

It's really cute. I might see if I can do one for my Ipad. If the wee'un hadn't broken my Kindle on the way back this weekend I would definitely have done it for that!

I was thinking about that, but I wondered if posterboard would be strong enough. I'm also not sure about how to attach the elastic.

I think I could make it, but I really want to be sure it will hold. This ipad is new and I would never hear the end of it if it was damaged because something didn't hold.

I haven't heard of mat board. Where do you buy it?

At Michaels Crafts store or any place that sells framing supplies. It's the material intended to be cut for frame mats but you can but it in large sheets at framing places. It's about 1/8" thick (you can buy varying thicknesses) and pretty resistant to bending when the sheet is whole.

This is how I'd make it.

1 Measure the book you are going to use when it's all cut up and laid out flat.

2 Add about 2 inches around the outside so you have something to fold over and glue.

3 Lay it down and fold it in so it's the size you want it finished, put your reader on it and measure the elastic. Since you want the elastic to stretch over it to hold it tight I wouldn't add anything to the measurement.

4 Mark where elastic needs to be attached. I'd use a little dot made by a pen or pencil, it ought to get covered up by the elastic anyway. This is also the time to cut out any pockets you want for the other side, lay them out and mark where you want them.

5 Fold the little ends of the elastic over and sew where you marked it.

6 Sew on the pocket(s)

7 Glue the fabric on to some poster board. I know someone said that poster board wouldn't hold up but with the fabric glued on it will be more than strong enough, all the tension and wearing will be on the fabric. At least it's more than enough for my brother when he rebinds Bibles and they have never fallen apart and those are just fabric glued to regular paper.

8 Glue that on the book cover.

Also, the glue that's used is a goo, like Shoe Goo or something like it. Might be able to use rubber cement. I asked my brother what he uses but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'm sure there are more intricate steps but that's what I would do just looking at the picture, I'm sure you could figure it out from here :)