Menu

Anyone use these CK-12 digital texts? They are FREE now.(link inside)

I just saw these posted on another board and they look interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cp_27%3ACK-12+Foundation&ie=UTF8&qid=1345395230

ETA: http://www.ck12.org has them for free all the time (as another poster pointed out) and you can download in different formats!

They are FREE! Makes me think "you get what you pay for" in most cases but I have learned that there are a lot of free homeschool/education resources out there that really are good!

These are mostly high school texts for science and math and 1 for composition. There are a few middle school texts too.

There are a few reviews, some good and some not so good.

Just curious if anyone here has used any of them and how they worked for you being a digital text? I would think they would work better on an IPad than a kindle because the screen is bigger and you could use the links mentioned easier.

Thanks for any reviews.

Edited by Ann in IA

Thanks, I was just looking at their web-site and saw that they are always free which is great!

I like that I can download them to my PC and not just the Kindle because I like the bigger screen for texts.

I just downloaded the Middle School physical science for my 8th grader. I'm going to review it over the next week.

I'm not sure who it was, but I saw that someone here did use the Biology and liked it. I finally found some references by searching here for "CK12"

We use their material. My son is working through Biology and he loves it! He says it's very easy to understand and he loves following the embedded links. We are using the regular, not the honors. I am not sure what the difference is between the two.

We are just beginning the 6th grade math and the middle school earth science for Dd and so far I like the looks of it, and she does too.

I will probably use more of their material as well. I have downloaded the composition course and have not looked at it yet, but I will. They have a huge spelling program as well.

Definitely take the free versions from the CK12 site. You can customize books according to what you want/need to cover, or you just download the entire book. I had downloaded lots of their texts before they just re vamped their website, but I assume that the material is all the same. They have teacher editions and answer keys are available upon request.

So far I have been very happy with what I've used/seen of the CK12 materials.

I'm using Middle school Earth Science honors with DD this year. I have it downloaded to iBooks on my iPad, and I think it's going to work well. I like the looks of the math books as supplements/problem sets to go with LoF, too, and will probably use their introductory algebra along with LoF Beginning Algebra when we get there.