Menu

Advice for a 7 y.o. interested in electronics?

Joshin

My gifted 7 y.o. is obsessed with learning to wire. He loves his snap circuits, but he wants to do 'real' wiring. I bought him a small kit at the hobby store that walks him through the basics of wires.

The issue he is having with these kits is they walk you through a few projects but they don't explain the science behind it, to use his words. He understands what a circuit is, but he wants details on how each piece affects the circuit. His main goal is to come up with his own project, walk into a hardware store and get the pieces, then build it himself. DH and I have no knowledge of this subject and we can't think of anyone in our social circle that does, either. He really needs a mentor, but at 7 is too young for the clubs and programs that could help him gain this knowledge in our area.

So the question, finally :001_smile: Does anyone know of any affordable online or video type courses that are simple enough for a beginner to learn the basics? I honestly have no clue where to start. He absorbs this stuff like a sponge so I'm not too worried about him understanding it, but at his age I need to understand it at least a little for safety reasons!

Thanks in advance!

My gifted 7 y.o. is obsessed with learning to wire. He loves his snap circuits, but he wants to do 'real' wiring. I bought him a small kit at the hobby store that walks him through the basics of wires.

The issue he is having with these kits is they walk you through a few projects but they don't explain the science behind it, to use his words. He understands what a circuit is, but he wants details on how each piece affects the circuit. His main goal is to come up with his own project, walk into a hardware store and get the pieces, then build it himself. DH and I have no knowledge of this subject and we can't think of anyone in our social circle that does, either. He really needs a mentor, but at 7 is too young for the clubs and programs that could help him gain this knowledge in our area.

So the question, finally :001_smile: Does anyone know of any affordable online or video type courses that are simple enough for a beginner to learn the basics? I honestly have no clue where to start. He absorbs this stuff like a sponge so I'm not too worried about him understanding it, but at his age I need to understand it at least a little for safety reasons!

Thanks in advance!

I taught basic electronics to homeschool groups and still have a large box filled with all the stuff I bought at Radio Shack. We built circuits and tested conductivity and resistance and made switches. I'm trying to remember, though, what resources I used to prepare myself. It wasn't all remembered from high school physics! Definitely hit your local library and see what kinds of books they have in the "electronics for kids" category, and look for the DVD "Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip". I know Magic School Bus can seem babyish but the basic science information is all there.

A quick search on Amazon turned up this book -- it might be something you could use: Electronics Discovery Armed with a book like this your ds will be able to safely create some cool projects. The typical Radio Shack employee can also be a great resource.

Possibly he would be interested in learning about Amateur Radio. If you are in the USA, the Novice license is the easiest examination to study for and pass. I've read about very young children getting their licenses. When I was 12, I received my Novice license from the F.C.C.

Regarding wiring circuits, he would need to be coordinated enough to use a Soldering Iron or Soldering Gun, safely, so there are no accidents and he does not burn himself or something else.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

Thank you for the ideas so far!

I hadn't thought about ham radio. He knows an older gentleman in his astronomy club that is a ham operator, I may approach him.

I'm pretty sure he could handle a soldering iron, his fine motor skills are excellent -- much more advanced than his 12 y.o. brothers even! He's been wielding a glue gun and power tools on his own (with supervision) for at least a year now. It's my mom fear of being able to monitor for safety and aid him when necessary in something I am clueless about that makes me hesitate about advancing to that step.

A quick search on Amazon turned up this book -- it might be something you could use: Electronics Discovery Armed with a book like this your ds will be able to safely create some cool projects. The typical Radio Shack employee can also be a great resource.

This is the book my 8 y.o. is working through and he loves it! Pretty simple parts and pieces so far too, but he hasn't gotten too far into it yet.

I would go to Radio Shack. They have electronic learning labs, books, kits and pieces and parts. We have found the sales staff to be wonderful - very encouraging with our son's love of electronics.

DS started soldering this year at 10 and hasn't had a bit of problems. I am sure he could have done it earlier, though he is left-handed and I wouldn't say he is 'great' with fine motor skills. DH found a soldering/instruction kit - you start with a big solder, then work to smaller ones, then adding wire, then a project, all on the same board.