Menu

Latin for the New millennium

my2boysteacher

Does anyone use this? What age/grade level do you believe would do best with this? I would love to hear opinions on how it works for you. Also, I saw a negative review which said the writers tried too hard to reach the new millennium by adding a lot of 'teen drama' like getting ready for a party or instant messaging. I didn't see any of that in the previews, did you find this to be true? Are there audio files available anywhere?

Thanks!

I haven't used it, but I have looked through it. It is a solid textbook, especially now that the 2nd and 3rd volumes are out. It uses a mixture of the traditional "grammar-translation" method that texts like Wheelock use, and the "reading" method, used by books like the Cambridge Latin series. I think this is the first Latin textbook in about 400 years to cover not just classical Latin, but also medieval Latin as well. Last time I looked, it was a bit pricey. Aesthetically, it is a very nice looking text. There is a lot of correlated material at the publisher's web site: http://www.bolchazy.com/lnm

I would say it is aimed at the high school market, and as with other high school texts, could be covered by say, a 7th or 8th grader at a slower pace. I would not try it with an elementary school student.

I saw the comment about neologisms in an Amazon comment, I have no idea what the commenter was talking about. I think there are places in the book where it encourages spoken Latin, but I wouldn't count that as a strike against it.

Edited by GGardner

I do use Book 1, but it's mostly for review and additional reading material. There are conversations among young students, but I haven't found anything inappropriate - it merely shows us that it's possible to speak in Latin if the right vocabulary is learned. DD loves the book, but we don't consistently use it like we use Henle.

There is a prestigious Jesuit high school here that uses this book.

Does anyone use this? What age/grade level do you believe would do best with this? I would love to hear opinions on how it works for you. Also, I saw a negative review which said the writers tried too hard to reach the new millennium by adding a lot of 'teen drama' like getting ready for a party or instant messaging. I didn't see any of that in the previews, did you find this to be true? Are there audio files available anywhere?

Thanks!

I'm planning to use it with my son this fall. I ordered my books last week!

I was attracted by three things: the dual instruction method that GGardner explained, the inclusion of significant cultural material, and the sheer beauty of the text. There is so much high-quality art in these books. I can't wait to see them in print.

It is expensive. We shopped around for used texts but ended up purchasing new from the bolchazy site. It was cheapest overall. If you look around the site you can find a LOT of samples provided, including the full text of the first three or so chapters.

I'm really looking forward to this program. My ds has done LFC Level A and (most of) B, but we'll start with LNM Level 1 at the beginning. My tentative plan is to do Levels 1 and 2 over the next three years. We'll see how it goes.