Menu

How to color a pre-teens hair?

My 10 yr old wants to color her hair. She's been asking for a few months so I've decided it's a little more than a passing phase (which usually just lasts a few days LOL). I don't have a problem with this because I know it will be temporary and it's fun.

My question is what do we use? She wants it to be pink or blue....:001_huh:

Is there stuff at the drug store you can buy or do people still use kool-aid?

I certainly don't want a permanent color but I don't mind if it's the semi-perm that washes out over the course of a few weeks/months. I'm guessing whatever we use will last a while for her because she has really thick course hair.

Thanks for any advice.

My very blond 13yo used to use kool-aid to put a streak in her hair. It looked cute. She got tired of it washing out/getting dull so quickly, so she used some splat coloring (I think that's what it was called). Anyway 6 months later and it's still there. She says that she's going back to kool-aid because she doesn't like having to keep the same color for so long :001_rolleyes:

My very blond 13yo used to use kool-aid to put a streak in her hair. It looked cute. She got tired of it washing out/getting dull so quickly, so she used some splat coloring (I think that's what it was called). Anyway 6 months later and it's still there. She says that she's going back to kool-aid because she doesn't like having to keep the same color for so long :001_rolleyes:

Ah yes, I can see that happening here too! ;)

I think we might start with the kool-aid and go from there. My DDs hair is brown and I'm not going to bleach it so she'll have to take what she gets with the kool-aid to start out I think. It probably won't show up as good but it'll be goof for her to experiment.

I'm worried about the "splat" which i just read reviews on and it says it colors EVERYTHING including the sink/tub etc. Since we are renting right now, that worries me.

Ah yes, I can see that happening here too! ;)

I think we might start with the kool-aid and go from there. My DDs hair is brown and I'm not going to bleach it so she'll have to take what she gets with the kool-aid to start out I think. It probably won't show up as good but it'll be goof for her to experiment.

I'm worried about the "splat" which i just read reviews on and it says it colors EVERYTHING including the sink/tub etc. Since we are renting right now, that worries me.

Yes. If I remember correctly I made her do it outside (big sis helped because she's the one that aquired the dye). I did not want a bright pink bathroom :D