Menu

Any success growing triops?

jeninok

I am working on coming up with some hands on/ lab type activities for the year long study I have put together on geologic time, dinosaurs, evolution, and hominds. So far we have real fossils to study, plans for field trips, and some questionarre type things lined up, but no lab type experiments.

I am thinking of trying triops, maybe a small aquarium with cave fish, and???

The problem is that our first attempts growing them a few years ago never worked well at all.

Has anyone else had any luck with them? Or have suggestions for middle school age experiments/labs that might tie in?

It's been awhile (about 10 years) and I want to do it again at some point. I think I remember light or heat or both being essential. I remember being dead broke, but needing to buy and run a lamp, and having to put a sticky thermometer on the bowl.

I remember there being all sorts of free online lesson plans. I got ours cheap at Walmart.

I guess we will try it soon before it cools off too much for fall.

I am on the hunt for some other prehistoric relics we would grow or observe.....that aren't cockroaches :)

I do plan a trip to see horseshoe crabs and mantis shrimp at the aquarium, but we can't take them home!

I had a friend successfully growing (hatching?) them.

I think she might have gotten them from Home Science Tools? Or the basic kit?

No idea how long they lasted (or didn't last). Her kids were fascinated. (Make sure you also play the They Might Be Giants Triops song for your kids.)

No idea on hands-on projects for you, though. Not a strong point for us!

I also found some aquatic invertebrates and protists kits from home science tools, I am not sure how easy it would be to see them in a microscope, but it might be cool to demonstrate basic life forms.

We are going to get sample water from the lake this weekend to look at it, as a demonstration of the sheer amount of biological samples in natural water.

I figure this will tie in nicely with our pre-cambrian and cambrian units next week.

Hmmm, yes, we bought water. I forget which kind.

Actually the tricks for better growth can be used as variables in experiments, so that can be a plus instead of a minus. I remember thinking that we didn't have time to use this resources as much as I wanted to.

Triops and other dehydrated animals was one of the few more advanced labs that I felt confident to really delve into as a low income and burnt out homeschooler. I'm up to my eyeballs in phonics and arithmetic replanning after my printer suddenly died, but otherwise I'd be all over googling what free lesson plans are available for the different dehydrated animals.

Lamps are cheap at hardware and department stores, and this is a great winter project, when there are fewer other living things to study.

I hope someone revives this topic later on in the Fall.