Menu

Screwtape on Stage - need reviews

We are thinking about going to see Screwtape on Stage: http://www.screwtapeonstage.com

Has anybody seen it? DH heard that it is based on a previous play that had reviews warning about intense sensual dancing, eroticism, etc. on the part of the supporting character - which would be a deal breaker for us. We are wanting to take our 13 and 11 year old sons, and want to make sure it won't be inappropriate.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Angela

We saw it last year. If it's the same version as what you linked to - with Max MacLean, it was phenominal. Hillarious, but I don't know that an 11-year-old would "catch" all of the humor.

If you look at the photos on the website, you can tell that it's very dark. Dark lighting, intense sound effects, etc. My kids are 10 and 8, and would not have enjoyed it for those reasons. But DH & I loved it.

We saw it 18 months ago. I don't recollect any sensual stuff at all. There is a secondary character, I can't remember her name, who has no lines. Only noises and movements. She plays a demon and is in a costume. Not sexual in nature at all, more asexual if anything. I remember my then 15 yo dd, who is a dancer, said it would be fun to play that part. I agreed she would be great at it. I think if there had been anything inappropriate I wouldn't have agreed :001_smile:

We loved it and would see it again.

Mary

ETA: If you look at the video on the link you provided you can see the other character-not sexual at all. Max McLean and the other character are the only ones on stage for the whole show. There was a previous stage production, totally unrelated to the Max McLean one, which involved dancing. McLean's version is totally separate. Your kids might appreciate it more if you read the book together and discussed it first. A book on tape might be fun.

Edited by Mary in VA

We saw it last year. If it's the same version as what you linked to - with Max MacLean, it was phenominal. Hillarious, but I don't know that an 11-year-old would "catch" all of the humor.

If you look at the photos on the website, you can tell that it's very dark. Dark lighting, intense sound effects, etc. My kids are 10 and 8, and would not have enjoyed it for those reasons. But DH & I loved it.

:iagree: I don't think your kids would enjoy it, but I thought it was great!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update. We read the book the couple weeks before hand (to make sure my sons had a better understanding of the production) and went to see the performance tonight. It was outstanding! There was nothing inappropriate. 97% of the play was in Lewis's own words, and they were even clearer to understand because of the actor and performance.

My boys both did say they were glad we had read the book.

Big thumbs up! :thumbup:

Angela

Just wanted to give an update. We read the book the couple weeks before hand (to make sure my sons had a better understanding of the production) and went to see the performance tonight. It was outstanding! There was nothing inappropriate. 97% of the play was in Lewis's own words, and they were even clearer to understand because of the actor and performance.

My boys both did say they were glad we had read the book.

Big thumbs up! :thumbup:

Angela

That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out so well!

Cannot believe I saw this thread. I have been friends with Max and his wife for 25+ years. Their daughters and my two older daughters were the best of friends for years till my daughters and I relocated from Morris County, NJ. Max's wife and I were the best of friends - I worked in NYC and she was in a Masters' Program and we did everything we could for each other as far as helping each other with the kids, carpooling, everything. Max traveled all the time back then (I imagine he still does) but with two little girls under the age of 10 and no family around, Sharon and I were best buddies.....we spent holidays together, weekends together, friday night sleepovers were a weekly event.

When Max first started out, he was in radio, and the buzz at the Church we attended (Long Hill Chapel in Chatham NJ) was how he would earn a living doing dramatic Christian performing. I knew Max, and I knew Sharon, and I knew that Max was an amazing performer and it would happen.

He and Sharon are an amazing couple -- she is just the most gracious, intelligent person one could ever hope to have as a friend. Max is one of the kindest people I have ever met. In fact, when my daughter's were young, Max and Sharon were the people I named in my Will who were to be their Legal Guardians should anything happen to me.

When my dad passed away, 23 years ago, Max did a dramatic reading of 'I Will Not Go Gently Into That Great Night' at the funeral Mass.....it was one of my dad's favorite pieces of poetry. It was unforgettable.

My dd32 called to tell me that Max was going to be in DC this winter performing screwtape letters and that her dh had surprised her with tickets. I am getting in touch with Max and his wife to see if we can get together with them for dinner.

Small world.:)

Cannot believe I saw this thread. I have been friends with Max and his wife for 25+ years. Their daughters and my two older daughters were the best of friends for years till my daughters and I relocated from Morris County, NJ. Max's wife and I were the best of friends - I worked in NYC and she was in a Masters' Program and we did everything we could for each other as far as helping each other with the kids, carpooling, everything. Max traveled all the time back then (I imagine he still does) but with two little girls under the age of 10 and no family around, Sharon and I were best buddies.....we spent holidays together, weekends together, friday night sleepovers were a weekly event.

When Max first started out, he was in radio, and the buzz at the Church we attended (Long Hill Chapel in Chatham NJ) was how he would earn a living doing dramatic Christian performing. I knew Max, and I knew Sharon, and I knew that Max was an amazing performer and it would happen.

He and Sharon are an amazing couple -- she is just the most gracious, intelligent person one could ever hope to have as a friend. Max is one of the kindest people I have ever met. In fact, when my daughter's were young, Max and Sharon were the people I named in my Will who were to be their Legal Guardians should anything happen to me.

When my dad passed away, 23 years ago, Max did a dramatic reading of 'I Will Not Go Gently Into That Great Night' at the funeral Mass.....it was one of my dad's favorite pieces of poetry. It was unforgettable.

My dd32 called to tell me that Max was going to be in DC this winter performing screwtape letters and that her dh had surprised her with tickets. I am getting in touch with Max and his wife to see if we can get together with them for dinner.

Small world.:)

That is sooo cool! He even stayed after to do a Q&A with the audience and was very kind and gracious during that time. Hope you get to see him and his wife again!

Blessings,

Angela

That is sooo cool! He even stayed after to do a Q&A with the audience and was very kind and gracious during that time. Hope you get to see him and his wife again!

Blessings,

Angela

Angela: Thank you! I was so thrilled (have I said that already?) to see this thread. I last saw Max perform in Baltimore (I think he did Mark) at the Symphony probably 20 years ago -- and he did the question and answer session and the kids were enthralled. Max is a wonderful testament to one following the Lord's will in their life....against 'sage' advice from 'the folks at Church' ;) -

I've emailed FPA and hope dh and i can get together with at least him, and hopefully with him and Sharon.:)

Mariann - VERY cool. Now I want to see it even more. I will have to check for Boston showings.

Yes, Denise, definitely do that. It is so worth it.

I can remember Max walking around the neighborhoods of Morristown, NJ when our kids were little and he would 'rehearse' while he walked. He and Sharon were such a wonderful part of my life during a time that was so hopeless and so bleak.

On a funny note, though, you of all people can appreciate the look on my sister's face when Max and Sharon and my sister and her husband were at my house for dinner, and my sister said something about 'naturally' she had been named the legal guardian for my daughters in case something happened to me, and I looked at her and said, 'Well, actually, no, you aren't. Max and Sharon are.' :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, Denise, definitely do that. It is so worth it.

I can remember Max walking around the neighborhoods of Morristown, NJ when our kids were little and he would 'rehearse' while he walked. He and Sharon were such a wonderful part of my life during a time that was so hopeless and so bleak.

On a funny note, though, you of all people can appreciate the look on my sister's face when Max and Sharon and my sister and her husband were at my house for dinner, and my sister said something about 'naturally' she had been named the legal guardian for my daughters in case something happened to me, and I looked at her and said, 'Well, actually, no, you aren't. Max and Sharon are.' :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: did your sister ever forgive you? :tongue_smilie: I seriously wonder.

I am SO disappointed. The 30th is dd's 13th birthday. :(. We have been planning to go dog sledding and stay at a lodge for the weekend, for over a year now. We made reservations for her birthday last year but never got snow, making this a special 13th birthday request. But I am SO disappointed. Of course we don't even know if we will have snow for that weekend. I will think about this. It would actually fit in with a lot of our reading right now.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Mariann, I am going wild with thoughts. I am sick in bed and have told dd, who is usually my nurse, to stay away from me, so I can't discuss this With her right now.

We go to the white mountains almost every year for her birthday. Just this year I told her we should try a Boston birthday. Now what I'm thinking is instead of staying at the lodge for two nights, Friday, the day of her bday, we could head into Boston and spend the day there, end with Screwtape, and stay in a hotel there. Then we can head to the white mountains for a one night stay at the lodge and dog sledding.

THIS SOUNDS PERFECT!!!!!!

We could read the book first (I bought it for ds20 so it is around here somewhere). Do you, or anyone else, know if the book is too intense for her? We are currently reading Torches of Joy and she is hearing about people who struggle with their faith, and we have more similar books coming up.

Getting SO excited!!!!

ETA: Angela, I just saw you read the book with your kids. Thank you SO MUCH for this thread because I believe this is what we are going to do this year!

Edited by Denisemomof4

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Mariann, I am going wild with thoughts. I am sick in bed and have told dd, who is usually my nurse, to stay away from me, so I can't discuss this With her right now.

We go to the white mountains almost every year for her birthday. Just this year I told her we should try a Boston birthday. Now what I'm thinking is instead of staying at the lodge for two nights, Friday, the day of her bday, we could head into Boston and spend the day there, end with Screwtape, and stay in a hotel there. Then we can head to the white mountains for a one night stay at the lodge and dog sledding.

THIS SOUNDS PERFECT!!!!!!

We could read the book first (I bought it for ds20 so it is around here somewhere). Do you, or anyone else, know if the book is too intense for her? We are currently reading Torches of Joy and she is hearing about people who struggle with their faith, and we have more similar books coming up.

Getting SO excited!!!!

ETA: Angela, I just saw you read the book with your kids. Thank you SO MUCH for this thread because I believe this is what we are going to do this year!

See! We didn't really hijack!;)

I love your idea for the Boston Birthday!:001_smile:

We are doing it as a read aloud with the twins (almost 12) and dd13. I think it's okay as a read aloud. I do understand that on the website the recommend the performance for 14 year olds - can't remember exactly. I do know that we will probably take dd13 but I am not going to take the twins this time around. I don't think they have the focus ability. There are no intermissions if i recall.

See! We didn't really hijack!;)

I love your idea for the Boston Birthday!:001_smile:

We are doing it as a read aloud with the twins (almost 12) and dd13. I think it's okay as a read aloud. I do understand that on the website the recommend the performance for 14 year olds - can't remember exactly. I do know that we will probably take dd13 but I am not going to take the twins this time around. I don't think they have the focus ability. There are no intermissions if i recall.

The website recommends ages 13 and up.:001_smile:

It also says for Boston there will be time to meet Max. I will tell him about my friend.;)

The website recommends ages 13 and up.:001_smile:

It also says for Boston there will be time to meet Max. I will tell him about my friend.;)

Good - 13 -- that would explain why I knew we could take DD13 to see it.

Definitely, give Max our regards! :) I am so hoping now that I have sent him an email that we can get together when he is in DC or when we visit NY. The world is an amazingly small place.;)

So glad it was helpful! There is nothing inappropriate at all! We took our 11yr and 13yr - they both thought it was good. It DEFINITELY helped that we had done the book as a read aloud. I heard a couple other kids behind us (probably 11yr & 12yr) who hadn't had exposure to the book or idea of the performance and they were confused and thought it was utterly boring.

Just FYI!

Angela