Menu

Favorite Audible books for homeschooling?

Love_to_Read

Ok, a small child woke up just as I was posting the OP. I really should have posted more clearly...blush...

I love all the free audio suggestions!!!! Keep them coming!

However, specifically for www.audible.com, I have credits to use up. So, what would be worthwhile? I got the free trial for the book I really needed (an American Girl History Mystery), and then forgot to cancel. What should I spend it on?

Edited by Love_to_Read

Check out Lit2Go for FREE classics recordings. We're listening to "Jabberwocky" & "The Walrus and the Carpenter" this week (part of WWE 3), and then we'll start Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I love Lit2Go's recordings; they're very well done in spite of being free.

Check out Lit2Go for FREE classics recordings. We're listening to "Jabberwocky" & "The Walrus and the Carpenter" this week (part of WWE 3), and then we'll start Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I love Lit2Go's recordings; they're very well done in spite of being free.

They have The Yellow Wallpaper! Not for kids, but I love that short story.

Nice site!

My son loves Librivox as well.

They have The Yellow Wallpaper! Not for kids, but I love that short story.

Nice site!

My son loves Librivox as well.

I know, isn't it great? I'm using the site for a bit of self-ed, too, since I don't always have time to sit and read. I'll be loading up my mp3 player later today with more audiobooks. :D

I really like the quantity of lit they have for younger kids, too. We could do an entire year of fairy tale study just from Lit2Go, and probably will!

We regularly use Audible as part of our curriculum. Usually over lunch we have an audio book on. Depending on your purposes / ages, I can share some of our best ones for school: LOVED Tom Sawyer, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, abridged versions of David Copperfield and Great Expectations (These were by Oxford classic audio, I think...), Around the World in 80 Days.

Our favorite just-for-fun Audibles have been Beverly Cleary's Ramona and Henry series, read by Stockard Channing and Neil Patrick Harris, respectively. Fantastic performances, hilarious stories.

Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed Unbroken, and The Help.

Oh Goodness.. audible credits to use.. where to begin!

Humphrey Hamster books -- so fun to listen to

By The Great Horn Spoon -- beautifully done

Peter Pan Series by Dave Barry & read by Jim Dale -- not only good stories, but Jim Dale is just an amazing narrator

Fever -- historical fiction, & really well done

39 Clue Series -- well done, we enjoy listening to them as a family

Stop That Train -- it's a good story, but does have a few drawbacks {mocks LDS, has a few choice words in it, disrespect between a mom & dad} delightful book though

The Tale Of Despereaux -- we loved this book

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane -- another good story

The Waterhorse -- totally different from the movie & oh so good

The Evolution Of Calpernia Tate -- Despite the title the only mention of evolution in the book is a grandpa that has the "banned book". Very sweet story.

Spy Dog stories -- we love these, but be aware that the "baddies" are often associated with drugs. As in "Baddie who sells drugs" that's it, no mention farther then that, we used it as a chance to discuss saying no.

Olga De Polga series -- just so fun & sweet

My Side Of The Mountain -- lovely story obviously, & well narrated

Charlie Bone Series -- Book one is a little tinny, but the rest are okay. Does have a magic theme

Mr Poppers Penguins -- so fun to listen to

The Pendderwick series -- sweet simple stories

Inkspell Triology -- Oh my, so addictive all though I'm not impressed with Brendan Frasier's doing of book 2 as I found him a tad hard to hear/understand when he was the voice of one of the characters. Good stories though!!

Nim's Island -- so well done as an audio

The City Of Ember -- Oh my, so much more awesome then the movie!!

Eragon Series -- well done & so much easier to read all those Languages Mr P wrote/made.

Ramona Series -- need I say more?

Percy Jackson Series -- I don't let my kids listen to this, but that's a personal thing. You might want to preview if you haven't read/listened to them. Some language

LionBoy Trilogy -- we couldn't stop listening to this. I think we plowed through the whole series in like a week! They were just so good. We're eager to relisten. There is chat in one book about how if Charlie swore he would do so now, but his father always told him not to swear unless he really meant it.

Ranger's Apprentice Series -- really good, all though I like the British Guy narrator better then the US one.

Princess Academy -- lovely, but has magic type theme

Goose Girl -- I adore this author {same as above} but this is my ABSOLUTE favorite by her. Not too keen on Book Of Days, but it's not bad.

A Christmas Carol -- if you've never read the book this is a good telling..

For Mamma:

Searching For Eden -- Christian fiction, but I just loved this book

Anything by Lynn Austin -- More Christian Fiction, but I love love love love love her books. Did I mention I love her books? Start with her Civil War Trilogy!

The Cottage Tales Of Beatrix Potter Series -- You will not regret these books, they are just devine

The Help -- yep, I listened vs read. It was really well done!!

Anything by Kate Morton -- just such good stories, long, but so good. Just wrapped up The House At Riverton, you'll love it if you like Downton Abby. It also goes by the name Shifting Fog. READ the info about the books before purchasing to make sure you don't snag the same book under differing titles!!

The Kitchen House -- Civil War/Slavery book, but REALLY good. Not for children. There are a few implied things within the story I wouldn't want my children to hear.

The Secret Carnation Series -- all though each one seems to have a bit of a rique scene within. Still good books though.

Monk Series -- I love these books, all though the Hawaiian one shocked me with some of it's content

Murder She Wrote Series -- as pleasant as the shows

Bailey Ruth Raeburn Series by Carolyn Hart -- For the most part I really enjoy Carolyn Hart's work, but this series might even be better then her Henri O series. I REALLY enjoyed these when I listened to them. Mind you they only have 3 in the series, so you'll have to be patient as they add them

Hmm, we have heaps more, not to mention a well stocked WishList. :lol: We've been doubling up some on our Sonlight & when we do I obtain the books as Audios so that I can save my voice for the books I choose to read. Anyway, hope that gets you started!!

How do you guys "listen" to all your audio? In the past, I've loaded up a bunch of stuff on our older iPod, and use that in the car. The problem is if I stop it properly (or later bump it), it doesn't stay paused on the right spot.

Was just wondering the best methods for listening to all this stuff - at home and in the car.

ETA: With Audible.com memberships, do you get to keep the audiobooks? Stupid question problem, as I'm assuming you do, just wondering if it's more like a library account where you "give them back" at the end of your month?

Edited by tammyw

You can change your settings in iTunes to remember your position.

Select your audiobooks

Right click on the whole selection and choose "get info"

Click on the tab labeled "options"

Change media kind from music to audiobook

Check box for "remember position"

Now iTunes will move it from your "music" folder to your "books" folder. When you sync with your iPod, it will be under books.

We haven't listened to many audiobooks, but I collect them. THIS is the year we will do audiobooks at lunchtime! We have listened to & enjoyed the Charlie Bone series (a little dark, but captivating), Matilda (by Roald Dahl), and The Borrowers.

You can change your settings in iTunes to remember your position.

Select your audiobooks

Right click on the whole selection and choose "get info"

Click on the tab labeled "options"

Change media kind from music to audiobook

Check box for "remember position"

Now iTunes will move it from your "music" folder to your "books" folder. When you sync with your iPod, it will be under books.

We haven't listened to many audiobooks, but I collect them. THIS is the year we will do audiobooks at lunchtime! We have listened to & enjoyed the Charlie Bone series (a little dark, but captivating), Matilda (by Roald Dahl), and The Borrowers.

Thank you! I am so going to try this.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio. A great book that our whole family loved. August enters middle school after homeschooling his whole life. Born with a signficant facial deformity and undergoing multiple operations, his parents decide it is time for him to enter school. The first part of the story is told from his point of view. The second half is told from the POV of those around him (family, classmates, teachers, etc.). Such a wonderful story for all ages.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio. A great book that our whole family loved. August enters middle school after homeschooling his whole life. Born with a signficant facial deformity and undergoing multiple operations, his parents decide it is time for him to enter school. The first part of the story is told from his point of view. The second half is told from the POV of those around him (family, classmates, teachers, etc.). Such a wonderful story for all ages.

My son read this book this summer and really enjoyed it.

Also if you use Apologia Science and have Audible credits, they have:

Apologia Anatomy and Physiology (elementary level science)

Biology

Physical Science

General Science

Marine Biology

Chemistry and

Physics

texts all in audiobooks formats all available for one credit. I like for my kids to listen and read their texts when possible.

Edited by zimom
added textbooks

How do you guys "listen" to all your audio? In the past, I've loaded up a bunch of stuff on our older iPod, and use that in the car. The problem is if I stop it properly (or later bump it), it doesn't stay paused on the right spot.

Was just wondering the best methods for listening to all this stuff - at home and in the car.

ETA: With Audible.com memberships, do you get to keep the audiobooks? Stupid question problem, as I'm assuming you do, just wondering if it's more like a library account where you "give them back" at the end of your month?

I found that the older ipods had that issue a LOT which wasn't a huge deal for music, but a pain in the rear for books. Dh ended up getting me the 2nd Gen Nano which stopped that from happening as it had a lock on it, then he gave me an ipod touch for Christmas, which I gave to him because later this year he gave me an iphone. Both of the later mentioned are dreams for audio books. Seriously, especially with Audible.

Yes, with Audible, the books are yours. You can put them on mobile devices or you can burn to cd. It's totally legal, just not legal to obviously sell them. :D