Menu

Has anyone used Cantering the Country?

Love_to_Read

If so, how integrated are the additional suggested books?

(This is the main question...rest of this post just elaborates.)

I mean, I get that an atlas would be quite useful, as would Geography A-Z, and Eat Your Way through the USA sounds great. Those are definitely on my shopping list.

But do they really make good connections as far as incorporating Earth Science for Every Kid? I love Janice Vancleave's books, but is it actually connected to the lessons, or just thrown in at random for the sake of having a science? Is it worthwhile to get this specific one because of topical connections and great ideas, or is it no different than chosing any other science at random?

And what about the Zoo Guide and Aquarium Guide? Are they actually connected to the lessons? Or more of something we'd only use once in preparation for a field trip? Are these going to be a convenient way for me to teach them about regional animals, or should I just brainstorm things like library books about roadrunners for Arizona, and polar bears for Alaska? I'm thinking that lions and tigers aren't exactly native to the USA. So, worth it and relevant? Or just scheduled at random?

And lastly, the Profiles in History...are they written well? Would you buy it for a first grader to learn about people from each state? Or is it just as easy to have him meet Ben Franklin in a leveled reader from the library when big sis covers the man in her Sonlight core?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I haven't used CTC a, but I did use GTG many years ago, and the additional resources were not necessary at all. I think the only one I used was Children Around the World. I know they have updated them since that time, though. The main point of the resources seemed to be that you could have a bare bones program on hand w/o using the library as much. When I used GTG, I used the book suggestions in the TG very heavily, so I was at the library every week. I also used some of the activities from the TG, but added in a lot of my own. The cookbook wasn't available at that time, but would have been nice. The GTG message board was helpful for ideas. There may have been a Yahoo group. Really, GTG was one of the best years we ever had, but the TG wound up being a loose guide that helped me plan each week. I did buy CTC, but couldn't get excited about a state study.