Menu

A Tale of Two Cities - which movie

Hello all - don't hate me. I need to stream line a little bit for next year. Instead of reading the book A Tale of Two Cities, I think we are going to watch a movie. I just don't think he needs to be reading both that book and Jane Eyre at the same time. One is for history and the other for literature, so the movie wins out for history.

I have several options for which movie to watch. These two are standing out the most:

The Masterpiece Theater version, made in 2001, available through Netflix rental but no longer for sale

or

the 2007 version starring Chris Sarandon, Peter Cushing, et. al.

FWIW, I don't know who any of the actors are, so I can't pick based upon that. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Ds and I read Tale of Two Cities last school year for MFW WHL. It was by far ds's favorite book of the year. He liked it way better than Jane Eyre. We did watch a Jane Eyre movie in addition to the book. We did not watch the TTC movie in any version.

Guess I am no help!!

Similarly here -- did both Wuthering Heights (Bronte) and Tale of Two Cities with DSs, and they far preferred Tale of Two Cities -- it's a little tough to get through the first 6 chapters or so, but really picks up speed, intensity and excitement after that. And I think Dickens is worth as much Literature discussion and credit as for history. ;)

(Side note re: Wuthering Heights: while DSs just got irritated at the choices of the characters, I, on the other hand was incredibly impressed with Bronte's subtleness and maturity in Wuthering Heights -- I appreciated it far more this time around than when I read it 20 years ago. She pulls no punches and writes it like it is in expressing just how brutal, ugly, obsessive, abusive and twisted the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine really is -- NOT the "passionate, undying love story" young women seem to think it is. I was reminded of what I have heard about the "Twilight" series (no personal experience) -- the "abused woman" mentality Twilight appears to present in the disturbing obsession of Bella for Edward (emotionally non-available man) or Jacob (potentially physically abusive man) in lieu of a normal, mutually supportive and loving relationship ...)

No help with which Tale of Two Cities version (I think I saw the 1989 Masterpiece version, but it was so long ago I don't remember much about it) -- just wanted to say, while you're watching movies, do a version of the Scarlet Pimpernel, also set during the French Revolution. SO fun! :) Both the 1934 film starring Leslie Howard and the 1982 version starring Anthony Andrews are great. Whatever you decide, hope you and DS have an enjoyable adventure in film and in literature! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Did they keep your teen's attention, Michelle?

Depended on the child. LOL. My ds, now 14, enjoyed both movies with me. Ds, now 16, would have slept through both movies if he had been allowed to do so, but he would have slept through the book if he could have. My eldest son and eldest daughter had already graduated, so they didn't get to enjoy the movies with us.

HTH