Menu

Dumb new mother question of the day #257...

What does a newborn wear at the end of September, early October, in the midwest??? All I keep seeing are cotton sleepers, and I can't figure out if that's what I need or if I'm supposed to wait for the polyester fleecy ones. I assume they need onesies underneath. I ordered two Miracle Blankets to try swaddling, so I would assume that would help keep them warm. But if the baby doesn't like to be swaddled or isn't swaddled at that moment, what would he be wearing? Cotton or something heavier?

Also, my dd's skin was irritated by the polyester jammies when she was little. I kept onesies on her underneath and it helped, but would the long-sleeve onesies do better? Are they just more layers and hard to get their arms to go down the sleeves of the main sleeper then?

Any other tips? As you can tell, it's been a LONG time! I just remember the midwife coming and distinctly informing me my baby was COLD, making me feel negligent, unobservant, etc. (and it was spring, almost May at that point, mind you!) So now I'm on a baby-warming fetish, trying to figure out what all it takes to keep a baby warm when born in the fall months...

I would go with the cotton baby gowns that snap at the bottom. Those were so nice the first month or so. Easy to get on the baby. And easy to access the diaper for changes. Just get some of those and you'll be set along with the little onesies. I found that a few gowns just weren't enough. My ds poohed and peed out everything. We had a lot. We got some thicker, nicer cotton ones and also some of the thinner ones.

My ds was born in September. We did a lot of onesies with pants and he even had a couple of union suit type outfits. We did a lot of layers and as a first (only) baby he had a lot of cutsie type outfits. I remember we had a lot of thing with jackets. Most outfits were cotton.

A couple of thoughts:

--Newborns can't always regulate their body temperature like we can, so they do need to be warm. However, you don't want to overheat them either!

--For indoors, assuming that the temps are not extreme, I would dress the baby in long sleeves--a long-sleeved cotton onesie, e.g., and add layers (blanket/clothes) as you need them. For practical purposes, you can probably assume that your baby needs to have on just a little more than you to stay warm, perhaps one more layer than you. Do remember that you may generate some heat as you scurry around caring for the baby and the household, while the baby is just lying there looking adorable, so that makes a difference, too.

--For outdoors, I would dress the baby according to the temperature. It does help to have a blanket or layers that can be added or removed as needed.

--Judging by my two, a baby is fully qualified to let you know when he/she is uncomfortable. :D You will get some clues as you hold the baby--e.g., does the baby's hands feel cold to you? Does the baby look flushed and fussy?

Congratulations on your little one! You can do this! :grouphug:

And though we're in the southern part of the midwest, it still gets cold. Dd was born during a record cold snap, and we still dressed her in cotton.

I would much rather dress a baby in cotton and wrap/layer in cotton flannel blankets than dress him or her in a one of those fleecy sleepers. I, personally, don't like the feel of polyester. After those sleepers have been washed a few times they feel rough.

My favorite sleepers were some cotton ones my mom got at JC Penney. They were a good quality, thick cotton. They had adorable little rosebuds printed on them...

What happened to that tiny baby? :001_huh:

Sandy, you're right. I was researching over-hard on too many things today and just got into a real tired frenzy, worrying about everything. After a long hot shower and soaking my feet, I realized all this is going to work out, that I just have to buy a few things to get started, lol. It even seemed simple after I read the responses. Well I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm making notes on them and looking up all the things. I found some of those thicker cotton Carters sleepers someone mentioned as being at Pennys and I'm feeling more on-track right now.