Menu

I want to refinance. Who should I call?

Most refis are happening in 60-90 days (major lenders, like Chase and Wells Fargo). Some refis are happening in 35-45 days (lending tree/quicken loan referral groups). These are standard FHA-type loans.

Federal Credit Unions offer different programs than any of the above, and could be more advantageous, but you have to be a member.

Do Not Use Fairway Mortgage. It's been 8 months, and we haven't closed. It's a long story, and apparently, lots of bad information mucking up the process. We are getting ready to do a different loan with our current lender (local bank), and should close on that in 2 weeks...but it is not a standard loan.

Lisa

Our current mortgage company? Our local bank? Quicken Loans? If you've refinanced recently, did you have a good experience? Tell me your story!

If you are happy with you current bank, I'd go there first. But it bears shopping around right now as interest rates are fluctuating from place to place. Many offers I hear advertised waive all kinds of fees but check if they are legit.

I just called around to banks in the area and my current mortgage company. The one that won out was a little bank nearby. They wound up giving me a 2.6% 15 year mortgage that is giving us smaller payments than our 20 year mortgage. I can't imagine it goes much lower.

Beth