Menu

If you're NOT taking the PSATS at the end of 10th grade...

Well, the PSAT is offered only in October. My kids take it Soph and Junior years.

There is Geometry on the PSAT, so if scoring well on that exam is important to your kid, s/he will need to cover it at the latest by the beginning of Junior year.

HTH

Thanks. I understand that part, but what I am wondering is if there is a benefit to stay in Algebra all the way though or is it still better to break up Algebra I and II with Geometry? Thanks. :)

I prefer that students take Geometry between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

Geometry will USE Algebra 1 skills (basics) and will give the brain time to mature while teaching valuable multi-step reasoning skills that will HELP the student understand/work through higher maths. (it is NOT the information 'learned' in Geometry it is the brain processes that are DEVELOPED!).

If the student works Algebra 2 and then Geometry they will have more than one year where they DO NOT USE the skills taught in Algebra 2. Most students will NOT take the time to supplement a Geometry class with an Algebra 2 review. Pre-Calc does NOT contain review-- this course will expect a student to have just taken Algebra 2 and will 'jump right in' with new concepts or expansions of concepts. In other words taking Geometry after Algebra 2 makes the next highest level of math MORE difficult!!! (personal experience talking as this was the way I did it).

The vast majority of Algebra 2 programs will review Algebra 1 skills (the authors understand that a MAJORITY of students will have taken a year off for Geometry). Algebra 2 is a logical continuation of Algebra 1... not many new concepts are introduced-- the foundational concepts are just expanded (messier problems).

I survived (and became a Math major) even though I took Algebra 2 right after Algebra 1. I DID have to drop out of Pre-Calc and re-teach myself basic Algebra (no one told me I should be reviewing Algebra 2 during Geometry!). Once I reviewed I was able to pick up where I left off and move on.

Taking Algebra 2 right after Algebra 1 DOES NOT MAKE ALGEBRA 2 EASIER. Giving the brain an extra year to mature (while still using more concrete concepts like Geometry has) is what helps make Algebra 2 'easier'.

-

My oldest dd only took Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 in high school. She was a 'late bloomer' and that is all we had time for. She graduated from college last week with HONORS... so doing the maths in that order can work...lots of different orders can work... the above is just my personal observation based on my own experiences and the experiences of the math students I have taught these past 25+ years.

I prefer that students take Geometry between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

Geometry will USE Algebra 1 skills (basics) and will give the brain time to mature while teaching valuable multi-step reasoning skills that will HELP the student understand/work through higher maths. (it is NOT the information 'learned' in Geometry it is the brain processes that are DEVELOPED!).

If the student works Algebra 2 and then Geometry they will have more than one year where they DO NOT USE the skills taught in Algebra 2. Most students will NOT take the time to supplement a Geometry class with an Algebra 2 review. Pre-Calc does NOT contain review-- this course will expect a student to have just taken Algebra 2 and will 'jump right in' with new concepts or expansions of concepts. In other words taking Geometry after Algebra 2 makes the next highest level of math MORE difficult!!! (personal experience talking as this was the way I did it).

The vast majority of Algebra 2 programs will review Algebra 1 skills (the authors understand that a MAJORITY of students will have taken a year off for Geometry). Algebra 2 is a logical continuation of Algebra 1... not many new concepts are introduced-- the foundational concepts are just expanded (messier problems).

I survived (and became a Math major) even though I took Algebra 2 right after Algebra 1. I DID have to drop out of Pre-Calc and re-teach myself basic Algebra (no one told me I should be reviewing Algebra 2 during Geometry!). Once I reviewed I was able to pick up where I left off and move on.

Taking Algebra 2 right after Algebra 1 DOES NOT MAKE ALGEBRA 2 EASIER. Giving the brain an extra year to mature (while still using more concrete concepts like Geometry has) is what helps make Algebra 2 'easier'.

-

My oldest dd only took Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 in high school. She was a 'late bloomer' and that is all we had time for. She graduated from college last week with HONORS... so doing the maths in that order can work...lots of different orders can work... the above is just my personal observation based on my own experiences and the experiences of the math students I have taught these past 25+ years.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!! :) This is what I was wanting to know. This really makes sense. I just didn't know, other than for the benefit of the PSATS, whether the sequence made a difference or not. Thank you so much for your reply. That really helps me. Fortunately I already have my Geometry, we're doing Jacob's, so I can start right into it with peace of mind. Thank you so much again. :) :grouphug: