Menu

Could This be Right? 7th better than 10th Science!

Dd12 is starting BJU Life and a good friend of hers is doing Abeka Biology. So I got together with friend's mom today to see if they could do some experiments together. We were comparing the BJU Life for 7th and Abeka Biology for 10th and dd12 likes the Abeka Biology better. I have skimmed through it and it does seem to have a little easier approach. Could this be right? A 7th grade text over shadows a 10th grade text? If so and dd12 prefers to do the Abeka since she is only 7th grade obvoiusly this wont count as a credit, what would she take in highschool for biology? For that matter what would I have her take next year in 8th grade? We have just started the BJU Life together and she doesnt like it much. I should say we have the 2nd edition (could not afford the new edition) and the format doesn't seem as attractive as the new.

I'm not sure about the format, but we tried BJU 7th this year and did not like it. My son is not an independent worker. He was not passing any of the tests...I tried reading some of it myself to figure out the problem and I didn't like it either. I'm going to go with Rainbow this year, but if I didnt' choose that, I would've went with Apologia. Ifshe likes the Abeka, I think it'll be fine.

We used BJU for Life Science and had a hard time finding a non-AP level Biology that went beyond BJU Life. Yes, it is possible that the BJU is more challenging.

What do you use for Biology? BJU if you like it. We went with Miller/Levine Biology. Going straight into AP Biology would be an option.

BJU Life is very challenging IMHO. Is it more challenging than Abeka Biology? Can't answer that one as I've never used it.

I do recall quite a bit of discussion where we used to live about skipping BJU Life in favor of BJU Biology. Several families I knew did BJU Biology over 8th and 9th rather than BJU Life in 7th. There is a bunch of material to cover so I understood their thinking (Biology in 8th and 9th, Chemistry in 10th, Physics in 12th). Recently there was an interesting thread about Life Science for high school:http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=372889&highlight=Life+Science+Biology.

HTH

You would then use BJU Biology for high school. Yes, the 7th grade is more rigorous than the average homeschool high school text, from what I have seen, but that is because it prepares for BJU high school science, which is also more rigorous. If you don't have a dc who is strong in or interested in science, there are problably better paths, though. It is probably overkill for the average student. :D

Different curricula have different areas of focus. BJU is known for being strong in science in high school.